Spoilt for choice

THE_GREAT_GONZO
THE_GREAT_GONZO Posts: 10
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
Being a relative noob (I've dipped my toe in road cycling for the past 3 years, using it as the perfect off season training for my follies in mtb'ing!) I have been lurking and reading all of the "what's the best beginner bike" threads for quite a while. :|

My verdict? In the UK beginners are rather spoilt for choice... :shock:

You can look through the biking press, see a good review in the price range you have allocated for your steed of choice, can travel to a nice shiny LBS and try fit, maybe test ride the bike of your dreams too. If you're not satisfied you go somewhere else and try a different brand within your chosen budget if the LBS doesn't stock that much variety (sorry Evans cycles et al).

For a first bike I went budget and bought second hand; I knew I liked cycling (off and on road with knobbly tyres) so it was a no brainer moving to road. My then limited budget precluded buying a fancy new bike, so I made do and learned to ride what I could afford.

Fast forward 3 years and I am ready to upgrade. Still a relative novice, but with some experience and some cash to burn (shhhh, don't tell the wife!).

What am I rambling at then? I'm in Cyprus and other than mail order I'm fairly limited to the brand of bike I can go to a shop and test ride for my self. How did I get round this short coming? I joined a club and asked to try some of the other bikes riders had.
I tried alu, carbon, ti even an old steel clunker! I compared what I rode with the kit on offer; sora/tiagra isn't nearly as smooth as 105...then I went to the LBS's and tried the bikes, with a size fit too.

So my choice? With a good deal of Giant bikes (good solid reviews at my price point) and some good deals on Trek (also well received at my price point) coupled with riding both brands at/above/below where my cash sits I now have two bikes to chose from.

I will probably buy the Trek and sell my old 1st bike to a new noob.

I just don't envy anyone who has a whole world of choice in front of them starting in this addictive hobby. Noobs need some to be given slack as too much choice is dangerous! :wink: