Trek Domane '14 v Spesh Roubaix SL4 '15....a report

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Some of you may have read my other thread in "General', about my quest to make my Trek more 'comfortable', which was going ok...... but after road testing today, I'm not so sure !!

I had a couple of hours free this afternoon, so put my bike in the car, and headed to a lbs, who's a Trek Dealer, to speak with them, and perhaps 'road'test a couple of Domane's for comparison.
He wasnt the best salesman in the world, quite a quiet 'matter of fact' demeanor, rather less than enthusiastic, but still, he agreed to help.
They had both '14 Domane 2.3 in Aluminium, and 4.3 Carbon in 56cm, both on offer, and so after riding my own the local test road's, I gave them both a go.
The 2.3, with its Iso_coupler thingy, immediately felt smoother, and less harsh, and indeed, a nicer riding position than i'm used to so far, not huge, but definitely better. £1019 was a good offer too.
The 4.3 was next, with its ultra-sexy graphite coloured Carbon frame, and again, immediately, I could tell it was another step up, very compliant and forgiving, yet immediate when pedalling. At £1525, perhaps a great value intro to Carbon......
Both had 105 running gear, so both good in that respect. And both had 25c tyres on too, so perhaps this fact made up part of that extra compliance that i'm searching for ........
I did also try the lead-in Domane 2.0, but in a 58cm, and whilst it felt ok and rideable, I felt I was too much 'in' the bike, if thats best way of describing it.
Shame I couldnt test the Carbon in 58 too, but I doubt it would have felt different.

All in all, I left very tempted, particularly with the 4.3 Carbon

However, on the way home, I passed a local Specialized dealer, and decided to drop in to see what they had yet received from the 2015 range. I have been in a couple of months ago, and had a quick ride on a 14 Roubaix SL4 Disc, but at that point, i didnt feel inclined to be tempted to spend £1350.
That bike was a 56cm too, and although felt good, I hadnt been wowed.

This time, we had a chat, and he offered to size me up, and pulled out their '15 Roubaix SL4 Sport, in 58cm, which he suspected would be ideal for me. In bright lime green, it wasnt immediately to my liking, but I sat on it, and it felt good, and he then said - "take it for a quick spin if you like ?"

I did. I wish I hadnt. It immediately felt just 'right' for me, bars that bit higher, geometry just felt right for me, and it raced on with ease, even for this 'over 50 non-racing snake' of a man.
It really did feel super comfortable, immediately 'day long' comfy, and again, perhaps the 25c tyres had quite a bit to do with it, and the lovely Carbon frame.
The Shimano 105 set was slick, and another factor that perhaps made up the comfort factor was the Specialized CobL GobL seatpost, which felt great, and must have been a factor......

All in all, really really impressed with the Roubaix, and even in that very LOUD Lime green/yellow, I'm seriously tempted. Helluva lot of bike for £1500.
The Domane's were good, dont get me wrong, but geometry wise, the Roubaix just felt precisely what I'm wanting.

I'm wishing I hadnt gone in !! *gulp*

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Base Roubaix have notoriously poor wheels and kit. But have a very good frame for the money. A great bike to keep and upgrade over time.
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    Last years model was Sora kit, decidedly mid range apparently, but the 2015 SL4 Sport carries mostly 105 stuff, which was excellent.
    FSA CRanks, but that wouldnt be hard to change in time.......as well as the brakes if need be
    Not sure about the Axis wheels........seemed solid enough.

All in all, out of the box, seemed extremely well put together, and uber comfy to ride.