First Wheel Build

markynulty
markynulty Posts: 409
edited September 2014 in Workshop
I currently have a set of ageing Fulcrum 3s and am aware of the difficulty with replacing rims and spokes so I am going to sell them on before fatigue starts to take over. I am keen on bike maintenance and like getting stuck in so the idea of an easy to fix wheel sounds much better.

I have a new set of 32h Hope Pro 3 hubs and am thinking of lacing them to Stans Alpha 340s using Sapim Race spokes for the rear and Sapim Lazer spokes for the front, in a 2 x cross pattern for each wheel.

Weight is normally between 82 and 85kg and I am 6'2. I will be using them for road racing, hill climbs and crits. I also have a set of CT45 tubs for TTs.

Does the build sound feasable? Are there any major pitfalls to look out for?

Comments

• 3 cross... 32 is 3 cross.
    Sure, remember the Alpha 340 is a tubeless rim and it's not happy with inner tubes and pressures over 90 PSI... if you want to use inner tubes, go for another rim.
    What's wrong with Open PRO these days? It's a great rim and easy to build
    left the forum March 2023
  • I did look at open pros, as well as wider rims like the h e sons archetype but I really wanted the ability to try tubeless. Is there a better rim than the a340 for that?
  • markynulty wrote:
    I did look at open pros, as well as wider rims like the h e sons archetype but I really wanted the ability to try tubeless. Is there a better rim than the a340 for that?

Velocity A 23? Half the price and a lot stiffer. Otherwise go for Archetype, they are not tubeless ready, but they are tubeless compatible... in practice it means you might (or might not) need a compressor or gas to build up the pressure and seal the tyre when you first put it on
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    markynulty wrote:
    I did look at open pros, as well as wider rims like the h e sons archetype but I really wanted the ability to try tubeless. Is there a better rim than the a340 for that?

Not better but by far cheaper and stiffer.
    Alexrims AT490 Tubeless ready , 17 mm, bit heavier.
    Officially assessed by some tubeless tyre manufacturers.
    Just finished a front wheel and builds really easy.
    Nice machined too, no fuzzy brake surfaces after 2 rides.
    Could be the perfect rim for a lot of duties.

BTW I did cross 2 because I had some spokes of the corresponding length.
    ERD turned out to be 592 , no Google hits. (Maybe now....)