Grass track complete bike

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited November 2014 in Track
Hi,

I'm looking for a grass track bike to use for racing and also to double a s a winter hack (So a mount for a front brake would be very usefull) I know Dolan make one but it's a bit more than I was willing to spend. Ideally I would like a second hand one (but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth) or there was a guy selling new ones at Mildenhall for a fair bit less than the Dolan one (I can't remember for the life of me who the guy way)

I've tried to see if there are any specific forums or facebook groups but it's so niche I'm not having much joy.

I know this is mainly for indoor track riders but someone on here will hopefully have an idea!

Many thanks

Paul

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Paul,

Your best bet is to re-ask the question on the Velo Riders track forum. It's not very active there these days but those that know about grass track do read and post there.

Hope that helps.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Paul 8v
    Thanks Eddy, I was having quite a bit of trouble finding info anywhere so that's very helpful!
  • Paul 8v
    Having a bit of a job posting on there, I had to make a new email address and then once I put a post on it wouldn't let me post as I'd used banned words! Bit of a nightmare!
    In the meantime, I'm looking at crank lengths and it seems like if I want to use it on an indoor track as well some tracks only let you have 165mm, it that right? Seems very short. I had a fixed wheel on the road running 172.5mm and I never had any problems even when leaning it over?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Having a bit of a job posting on there, I had to make a new email address and then once I put a post on it wouldn't let me post as I'd used banned words! Bit of a nightmare!
    In the meantime, I'm looking at crank lengths and it seems like if I want to use it on an indoor track as well some tracks only let you have 165mm, it that right? Seems very short. I had a fixed wheel on the road running 172.5mm and I never had any problems even when leaning it over?

Its not so much the leaning over its the degree of banking in the corners
  • Paul 8v
    Ah fair enough, so I assume Manchester is quite steeply banked then? I would like to use the bike on the boards at some point so a setup which is legal for that makes sense.

Ordered the Dolan frame and forks this afternoon, looking forward to building it up and then will hopefully ride Lee Valley over the winter and some grass in the summer
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    I have a Langster set up for the highland games up here.

The main issue you will have is getting a frame with clearance for a grass tyre. Your best bet for a tyre now a days is a tufo tub off ebay thats 28mm with a real fine diamond tread.

165 are also great for getting straight on top of your gear from dead starts.

Spin to win brother.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Paul 8v
    Cool, I got a Pre cursa in the end with the grass track forks, they assure me that it will fit a 32mm tyre so that means I can fit something like a cross XN or a Griffo XS with a bit of bite for when it (Inevitably) rains!
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    a 32? Interesting...

Welcome to The Grasstrack Offensive. Pop up here and do a highland games or two next year, great days out.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Paul 8v
    I might well have to try that, looks fun!
  • Paul 8v
    Lee, may I ask what sort of gearing you use? I can't find any information anywhere!
  • Paul 8v
    So I tried the Vittoria Cross tyres on the Dolan , they fit perfectly, they're tight but they do fit fine. This is their "Winter" fork NOT the track fork as that is too tight.

fork.jpg

frame.jpg