Pacenti SL23 rims?

tom3
tom3 Posts: 287
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Can anyone rate these rims and what hub would you pair them with for racing?

I weigh 83kg and £600 ish is my max budget for handbuilts.

thanks

Comments

• Tom, they are tubeless rims... if you want to use inner tubes, there are far cheaper rims which are virtually identical (Archetype and XC 279), deeper rims which weigh the same (XR300) or lighter and cheaper rims which are ideal for crit racing (XR 270). If you want to use them tubeless, then I prefer the (more expensive) HED Belgium +, as they are more tyre friendly (in other words you don't need a crane to fit a tyre). They are popular in the US where the price is more in line with the competition, while here they seem a bit overpriced.
    left the forum March 2023
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    Thanks Ugo

Yeah, my mistake will want to run inner tubes. Excuse my ignorance, are the XC279 kinlin?

The deeper rims are appealing to be honest. Is there a hub to compliment them up to about £600 for total build?

thanks
  • tom3 wrote:
    Thanks Ugo

Yeah, my mistake will want to run inner tubes. Excuse my ignorance, are the XC279 kinlin?

The deeper rims are appealing to be honest. Is there a hub to compliment them up to about £600 for total build?

thanks

Kinlin yes, they are nice. Dura Ace, Hope would be my favourite
    left the forum March 2023
  • I'm around 90kg and have them in 28/32 with sapim lazers F & NDS, race DS, on DT Swiss 350 hubs and they have been great, very nice to ride and I can't remember having to take a spoke key anywhere near them (which can't be said for some factory wheels I've had) in the +6,000 km I've rode on them so far.
    Would I buy again? not sure, as the price per rim now is £20/£25 more than when I bought them making them twice the price of an Archetype. At the time I was willing to pay the premium for the slight weight\"aero"\looks these offered, but as I've not gone tubeless yet I might go for one of the cheaper options when they wear out.
  • Kinlin XC-279 rims are out of stock with the distributor in 20H and 24H at present so stock at wheelbuilders are running out or have run out.

The Kinlin XR-300 and XR-270 are rims I have stopped using as I have issues with the brake track (brake pulsing) the XC-279 do seem better made in this regard and alot stiffer too. Simply the best rim Kinlin offer.

The Pacenti SL23 is a tight rim for some tyres Vittoria Open Corsa for example but Conti GP4000s tyres go on without difficulty or the need for tyre levers. You could run the schwable one tubeless tyre though makes sense with this rim.

The HED Belgian + rims are nice have you tried getting hold of them though I have been waiting for months but finally they are due to arrive and no drillings lower than 24H either so is it the ideal racing rim? The £130 price does not leave much change for DA hubs, spokes and labour. Also if you damage a rim you might have to wait for a replacement again is it the ideal racing rim?

Shimano Dura Ace will be the best hubs to go for and Madison are bringing in the 18H drilling front hubs and guess what Evolution imports (the Pacenti distributor) have got 18H pacenti SL23's so if you are light enough there is a combo that is a good one (front wheels rarely give trouble so this is probably not a huge issue). They are expensive rims though but I remember looking at importing them at one point ex-works form the factory and the price per rim was expensive so that why they are expensive here retail.

For a racing rim the Pacenti SL23 is a good choice the Kinlin XC-279 is a good choice (but heavier) and cheaper when it is available I assume for racing you are not looking at 28H and 32H drillings.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.