Used rockshox

breathless
breathless Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am thinking of upgrading my cross country bike which has a worn suntour XCM 100mm travel with a used rockshox fork.

There are lots of auctions for used rockshox reba-sid (2-3 years old) in ebay with good price £100-£200.
I am thinking to spent £100-£150 for the fork and another £20-£50 for a good DIY service (sealers, o ring, oil, bush, paint, stickers e.t.c).
Is that a good idea?, any experience?
How long does rockshox reba-sid race/RL usually last 1000Km, 2000Km, .....10000Km?
I am basically afraid of stanchion wear which is not worth to repair and can not be seen from figures as it starts internally. Is it normal for a fork with 2000-3000Km to has worn stanchions?

Thanks
Breathless

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I have no idea how many km I ride every year, a conservative guess would be around 1500km. I have forks that are about 4 years old and they have no stanchion wear. At the same time I have also read reports from people not happy as their forks have stanchion wear at 6 months.

Its all about how well maintained the forks are. Regular cleaning of the stanchions and lower leg services at correct intervals and the forks should last for a while.

Give the fork an external inspection before buying. If there are signs of excessive oil leak or scratches then maybe it might be one to step away from.
  • How long they last depends on how they have been maintained. With regular oil and seal changes I don't see why you couldn't expect a decade of reliable use.
    I would probably avoid dual air forks, the air springs can cause problems as they wear.
    Or you could go for a new set of Rockshox Recon Gold RL for only a little over £200
  • Thanks for your answers, it seems that there are lot of options like forks that removed from new or very rare used bikes e.t.c I will try to see if i can take something like that with max 200eur

Unfortunately famous e shops have very good offers 50-60% for high tech forks like Reba/SID but they have no discount in 9qr-non tapered models.

Recon is hard to find and is more expensive than £200 in eshops
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-15-SR-SU ... 338fcb7005

£130 and way better than what you had.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter has some 2009 RS Recon 327 (short travel revelation) we bought used, other than scuffs on the lowers from use and some cable rub on the crown, in all other respects they looked and worked quite literally as new.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I've got a 2006 Pike that I bought 2nd hand about 4yrs ago. It'd been on a DJ bike before I had it and I've put around 5000km on it myself. Full service as soon as I got them and then lowers dropped about twice a year after that. No visible marks on the stanchions yet, which is more than can be said for other forks I've owned.
  • breathless wrote:
    Unfortunately famous e shops have very good offers 50-60% for high tech forks like Reba/SID but they have no discount in 9qr-non tapered models.

Recon is hard to find and is more expensive than £200 in eshops

http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-re ... 59434.html

£250 minus extra 10% discount is £225. For £225 you're getting a new fork so no need for service kit, no doubts over how well looked after it's been and it'll have a warranty.