Wheelbuilder help - new Open pro spokes or new rims too?

Spudboy
Spudboy Posts: 101
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm a heavier rider at 6ft4, 17st (down from 19st over the last few months) with the aim to reach 14st/89kg next year. I currently have handbuit OpenPro wheels with CX-ray spokes 32f/36r on 2007 Record hubs. Now, I know a lot more about wheels than I did when I was recommended and built these some years ago by an LBS and clearly Race spokes would have been better. These wheels were built before Archetype and Pacenti were available. I've had no trouble with spoke breakage but the rear needs a tweak with the spoke key occassionally, which I can do. As expected I don't find the rear to 'feel' that good at power transfer and although I don't get brake rub my riding has stepped up with the club and I'd like the rear to be more confidence inspiring. As a contrast I tried some Fulcrum 3's over a 100 miler and these were clearly much stiffer and better up the hills out of the saddle.

My question is should I just have the rear re-spoked with Race spokes or would this still be insufficient and better to get the hubs laced onto some Archetype/Pacenti SL23 etc?

Thanks and sorry it was a bit long winded!

Comments

• The Archetype and the SL23 don't come in 36 hole afaik.
  • Open PRO is not particularly stiff. The stiffest you can go is to use Sapim Leader at the rear, or you can get a much stiffer (and heavier) rim like Velocity Chukker... which is wide, deep and a bit of an OX... with that one Race will be plenty

EDIT: don't knock your wheels... at your weight they did well to support you for a few years, the Fulcrum 3 would have ended in the skip a while ago!
    left the forum March 2023
  • You are currently approximately 107kg then. I am 6'4" and 100kg and run Velocity A23 rims (32 hole drilling) with Sapim Race spokes and Miche hubs and have no issues at all with them. They were recommended by a few wheelbuilders.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Ermm The archtype does come in 36H in silver, black and when the next shipment arrives in grey. I am also surprised that your wheels have lasted as long the builder did a good job except for the spoke selection.

Respoking is a good option don't bin the hubs they are the best hubs ever made. The A23 ias not a bad rim the Archetype is just better. You could re-rim though using the same spokes (so long as the spoke lengths picked were not on the long side i.e poking out of the nipples) with the A23 rim that would be a fair bit stiffer and you save the expensive spokes which if they have not broken may be worth re-using.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    Thanks to all for the replies. Ugo, I completely agree I'm not knocking the wheels at all, for what I've needed they've been more than adequate it's just that as I've got fitter and faster and been riding in a club my riding has changed a bit and that has exposed the rear wheel to an extent. The Fulcrum's were on a loan bike from the LBS which I used for an event when I was 'between frames', I realise that factory wheels are an unwise choice (for me) long term.

I hadn't realised that there was a possibility of re-using the spoke with an A23 that's helpful info, thanks. Presumably new spokes needed for Archetype? Fear not I won't be binning the hubs, they've been awesome. They're the 2007 'new' design black hubs as is current now - I don't know why they only do 32h now? Shame.

Anyway, really appreciate the responses, I guess the head says go with the A23 if spoke can be re-used it's just those Archetype look so much prettier and as we know that's important too! :)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'd use new spokes (well I'd ask my wheel builder to use new spokes ;-) )
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava