Cotic Roadrat?

velocissimus
velocissimus Posts: 23
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm in the market for a new commuter bike and the Roadrat is currently top of the short list. I have a decent road bike and a pub bike. This one will be used mainly be used for year round urban commutes and occasional longer leisurely rides, sometimes with a child on the back. I want something that will ride well with flat bars as I prefer the more upright position in traffic. Other requirements include disk brakes and mounts for guards and rack. I also want it to feel reasonably lively and fun ride.

Time and budget considerations would mean I would go for the standard Sora build as listed on the Cotic site https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/roadrat#bike

Does anyone have any user feedback on the road rat? Feedback or other suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• I have no experience of riding one, but I did think I wanted one several years ago and I researched them pretty thoroughly. Just be aware that it's a heavy old frameset.

I suspect there are more nimble options out there for your needs. What they are, however...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The Kinesis Crosslight gets some good reviews so perhaps building something up around one of these might be another option?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I've considered a Kinesis but would prefer a steel frame.

I've wondered about the weight of the Roadrat and have located one that I can take for a ride. I'll see how it compares to my current commuter then decide whether to buy new or invest in my trusty old hack.

Still interested to hear experiences from anyone who rides roadrat.