Oakley Radarlock need some decent Shades.

bragawd
bragawd Posts: 160
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi. Looking to buy some decent glasses for my road cycling.. had cheaper (Makes) pairs over the years always wanted some Oaks.. Are these ok for the bigger rounded face !!! seen then on offer at £143.49 8)

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Should fit fine, but if in doubt find an optician that has them and try them on.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolle-Sense-Mod ... FC0TYA02FJ
    These will fit, and the lenses are stunning, much better than the lenses you get as standard in the Oakleys. My Oakley wearing mates agree with me.
    The sides are removable and look better without them, wouldn't wear them for anything but cycling mind.
  • dwanes wrote:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolle-Sense-Modulator-Emerald-Sunglasses/dp/B00I4VKRLO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ECJE8T952FC0TYA02FJ
    These will fit, and the lenses are stunning, much better than the lenses you get as standard in the Oakleys. My Oakley wearing mates agree with me.
    The sides are removable and look better without them, wouldn't wear them for anything but cycling mind.
    What makes those lenses better than the Oakleys?

I've got to admit, I find the lenses (OO Red Iridium and Black Iridium) the best lenses I've tried.
  • dwanes
    patrickf wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolle-Sense-Modulator-Emerald-Sunglasses/dp/B00I4VKRLO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ECJE8T952FC0TYA02FJ
    What makes those lenses better than the Oakleys?

I've got to admit, I find the lenses (OO Red Iridium and Black Iridium) the best lenses I've tried.

Difficult to describe really, one of my cycling mates took off his Oakleys, and put these on, and he said (to quote) "its like looking at the world in HD"
    Oakley may do a similar type of lens, not sure which one it would be, but I wouldnt want to pay extra (additional lenses) to find out.
  • I too have a rounded face and have the Radarlocks with G30 vented lenses. They fit good. The contact points are sticky. The lenses are great, even in low light. The vents work well -- tough to fog them up even when really humid.

BUT if it's not hot and humid I prefer to wear my Smith Pivlock V2. They feel lighter, give more coverage, come with 3 lenses, and cost less than Oakleys. Check them out.

One other point about Radarlocks: some find that the arms interfere with the helmet, so best to bring your helmet to LBS and try before you buy.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dwanes wrote:

You do not get standard lenses in Oakleys, you get the ones you want.
    So did all your Oakley wearing mates sell their Oakleys and get a pair then?
    Sorry, that sounds a bit aggressive, but they would if they were better and could effectively do a straight swap for brand new glasses.

To the OP, check out impact protection, UV protection (that it's not just a coating), and optical clarity of the competition before you sway from your original plan to buy Oakleys.

If you can get something better and cheaper then great, but feel you may just be going down a similar road to the one you said you have been on before.

You are buying them for the lenses, so make sure you get the right ones. The lenses make up the majority of the cost so no point in getting a deal on a pair if you then have to buy another lens that costs nearly as much.

Only you can tell if they are ok for your face. Just try a pair on :wink:
    What are the ones you have seen?
  • dwanes
    Carbonator wrote:
    dwanes wrote:

You do not get standard lenses in Oakleys, you get the ones you want.
    So did all your Oakley wearing mates sell their Oakleys and get a pair then?
    Sorry, that sounds a bit aggressive, but they would if they were better and could effectively do a straight swap for brand new glasses.

To the OP, check out impact protection, UV protection (that it's not just a coating), and optical clarity of the competition before you sway from your original plan to buy Oakleys.

If you can get something better and cheaper then great, but feel you may just be going down a similar road to the one you said you have been on before.

You are buying them for the lenses, so make sure you get the right ones. The lenses make up the majority of the cost so no point in getting a deal on a pair if you then have to buy another lens that costs nearly as much.

Only you can tell if they are ok for your face. Just try a pair on :wink:
    What are the ones you have seen?

Of course they didn't sell them, they are Oakleys! The ultimate in desirability!
    Many people want oakleys regardless whether any competition is better.
    A bit like people buying Apple products.
    I'm not saying oakleys or Apple are not good, they are good, but they are also desirable.
  • Anonymous
    Would not say Oakleys have the same lemming factor as apple stuff.

So did your mates all buy Oakley's to pose in, or because they are great cycling glasses?
    Which of the competition do you think is actually better then?
    Your mates seemed to be pretty kind about your glasses choice, but you seem to be saying they are muppets.
    Back stabber lol :wink:

Personally I buy things because I like/want them. Pi55ing off haters is just a bonus.

I think loads of people hesitate about buying Oakleys, but then realise it was a great move once they have.

I thought my first ones (Radar) were a lot for glasses, but have loved having them ever since.
    Much easier to part with cash for subsequent pairs as you realise that your sport, and more importantly your eyes, are worth it.

Have reached Oakley heaven as wife and I both have Radarlock now, which is great because I can pinch her lenses and they are super easy to swap. The three lenses seem to cover all eventualities.

I would suggest photochromic as they seem to work best for most days I ride in the UK.
    Wife's are polarised (OO Red Iridium) and are Fantasic, but not very dark so think thats why they come with a Black Iridium lens too.
    Oakley photochromics go from virtually clear to very dark (as dark as black iridium I think). Not sure the competitions photochromics have the same range so the Oakleys are pretty special IMO.

If they could make a photochromic polarised lens I would buy it tomorrow :P
  • dwanes
    Carbonator wrote:

Really? The Oakley brand name is huge and the company would struggle without that name and branding regardless of the quality of their glasses.
    Many poeple / cyclists have never heard of Bolle or other top end glasses, that is why they go to buy Oakleys.

By the way I do think Oakleys make great cycling glasses and lenses, never said they didnt. I was just pointing out that just because you buy a pair of Oakleys doesn't automatically mean the lenses are the best.
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    Carbonator wrote:

So did your mates all buy Oakley's to pose in, or because they are great cycling glasses?
    Which of the competition do you think is actually better then?
    Your mates seemed to be pretty kind about your glasses choice, but you seem to be saying they are muppets.
    Back stabber lol :wink:

Personally I buy things because I like/want them. Pi55ing off haters is just a bonus.

I think loads of people hesitate about buying Oakleys, but then realise it was a great move once they have.

I thought my first ones (Radar) were a lot for glasses, but have loved having them ever since.
    Much easier to part with cash for subsequent pairs as you realise that your sport, and more importantly your eyes, are worth it.

Have reached Oakley heaven as wife and I both have Radarlock now, which is great because I can pinch her lenses and they are super easy to swap. The three lenses seem to cover all eventualities.

I would suggest photochromic as they seem to work best for most days I ride in the UK.
    Wife's are polarised (OO Red Iridium) and are Fantasic, but not very dark so think thats why they come with a Black Iridium lens too.
    Oakley photochromics go from virtually clear to very dark (as dark as black iridium I think). Not sure the competitions photochromics have the same range so the Oakleys are pretty special IMO.

If they could make a photochromic polarised lens I would buy it tomorrow :P

"....Would not say Oakleys have the same lemming factor as apple stuff...."

I just do not get how you can compare the two....? The only similarity between them is great marketing strategy that is where it ends. Apple stuff is just much easier to engage with, it may not be "better", but it looks better, feels better and the software is much easier to just pick up and all their products work well together.

Oakleys may look and feel better (entirely subjective) but when it comes down to it they are just plastic and lenses - other brands make almost identical products but some people would never but anything other than Oakleys because the pros use them. I have tried on several pairs of radarlocks, full jackets etc. and they all make me look like a t**t so I have never bought them. I do think they are great but you are paying the premium because they are Oakleys not because they are better.
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2014
    I did not compare the two, 'dwanes' did. I was disagreeing with the comparison :wink:

Nothing to do with the pros in my case and looks are indeed subjective.

I feel they have superior impact protection and more importantly better optical clarity (they do not bend the light coming into your eyes) than their rivals to name the most important two advantages IMO.

I do not really notice Oakley's marketing (apart from when the trapped miners all came out with a free pair.......genius!) and apples marketing makes me want to puke.
    I only buy the products because I like them and feel they work/are good value.

The (strangely absent) OP was after some advice on buying Oakley's, not asking for alternatives. Then haters come on and try to dissuade him.
  • Don't agree TWGH. I've had countless pairs of sunnies (thanks to various sponsorships for another sport as well as purchases) and I have never found a brand that consistently produce the optical quality.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anonymous
    Don't agree TWGH. I've had countless pairs of sunnies (thanks to various sponsorships for another sport as well as purchases) and I have never found a brand that consistently produce the optical quality.

What do you not agree with twgh about?
    Do you mean any brand or any brand other than Oakley's?
  • Anonymous
    dwanes wrote:

By the way I do think Oakleys make great cycling glasses and lenses, never said they didnt. I was just pointing out that just because you buy a pair of Oakleys doesn't automatically mean the lenses are the best.

Agreed, but do people think that? That you buy any Oakley's with any lens, and they will automatically be better than all others.

Depends what you mean by best too. I feel they could well have the best optical clarity and impact protection.
    Beyond those things you then need to pick the lens you want.

Do you know of a better photochromic lens than Oakley's?
    Do you think the Bolle HD ones are better than Oakley's Polarised/HD's?
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    Don't agree TWGH. I've had countless pairs of sunnies (thanks to various sponsorships for another sport as well as purchases) and I have never found a brand that consistently produce the optical quality.

I am sure they do make some of the best sunglasses, in the same way apple make some of the best phones laptops etc., but my point is you can find other brands which are just as good but you will probably have to look harder and do more research.

When you buy a brand like Oakley you pay that bit extra because you know what you are getting is going to be better than 99% of the stuff on the market.