Are the 2015 Cosmic Carbone SLS UCI legal?

jgarpotter
jgarpotter Posts: 83
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

The 2014 version of the Carbone SLS weren't UCI legal, however, I was wondering (I can't seem to find any information saying yes or no), are the 2015 versions UCI legal?

Cheers

Comments

• For some reason I thought this wheel/model was not going to have a 2015 version.
    Obviously I must have misread it somewhere....

Cant find much info on it though ...
    I have been looking at buying a set of 2014's. so price may come down if there is a newer version out?
  • Is any marshall really come to you and say: you can't race in cat. 3-4 with these? I certainly have never seen them going around weighing bikes or testing riders for EPO or other things the UCI rules imply... I suspect as long as you don't show up on a Lo Pro bike with a disc wheel, you are probably OK with pretty much anything... is that the case?
    left the forum March 2023
  • pmannion9 wrote:
    For some reason I thought this wheel/model was not going to have a 2015 version.
    Obviously I must have misread it somewhere....

Cant find much info on it though ...
    I have been looking at buying a set of 2014's. so price may come down if there is a newer version out?

The 2014 wheelset:

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/mavic- ... 14-p233362

The 2015 wheelset:

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/mavic- ... 15-p259510

There doesn't seem to be any difference, unless I'm blind. The weight is exactly the same.
  • Is any marshall really come to you and say: you can't race in cat. 3-4 with these? I certainly have never seen them going around weighing bikes or testing riders for EPO or other things the UCI rules imply... I suspect as long as you don't show up on a Lo Pro bike with a disc wheel, you are probably OK with pretty much anything... is that the case?

I'm completely unsure, I haven't started racing crits yet, but for the tri's and odd tt's I've done although they have checked is that the bike is in working condition and nothing else, but I'd rather not be caught out if someone were to be that anal.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It is UCI legal, not that these wheels would ever be used in any proper UCI sanctioned race. The only wheels that Mavic make that do not meet UCI regulations are the I/O (track only due to depth) and any of those that use their blades (such as the CXR 80). If you're looking for race wheels and you're strong enough to ride UCI sanctioned events, then you can do better.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/51/87/Rules-Nonstandardwheels-ENG_English.PDF
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Any BC sanctioned race required a UCI compliant bike and equipment, strictly speaking.

Paul
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    paul2718 wrote:
    Any BC sanctioned race required a UCI compliant bike and equipment, strictly speaking.

Paul

No. Only those that are also UCI sanctioned (such as Nationals) require UCI compliance in regards to equipment/position.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/rulebook/2014__Rulebook_-_05-GENERAL_ROAD_TRACK.pdf
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Is any marshall really come to you and say: you can't race in cat. 3-4 with these? I certainly have never seen them going around weighing bikes or testing riders for EPO or other things the UCI rules imply... I suspect as long as you don't show up on a Lo Pro bike with a disc wheel, you are probably OK with pretty much anything... is that the case?

At Hillingdon I have never seen a bike weighed or anyone drug tested.

I have though seen a guy turned away from a 4th cat race for using 80mm deep sections front and back. Another time at same venue, possible the same race, the commissaire asked someone to remove their frame mounted pump and rear light :D
  • The latest list of UCI wheels is at this link
    http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.PDF
    Mavic Carbonne SLS does not appear on the list. It is not a approved wheel. If you attempt to race using these wheels in a race run under UCI rules, at this time you run the risk of not being able to use them.

THis has already been the case at a nnumber of Triathlon events run under UCI rules (Nottingham ETU cup, August 2014, where specific reference was made to the fact that Cosmic Carbone SLS's were not legal.

Mavic have stated '
    The BTF has recently decided to become the first federation globally to apply the UCI ‘non conformity’ rules to the letter. Since this was announced (three weeks ago) our HQ team have been in very close contact with the UCI to ensure that the list is updated to include all the latest wheel names. The UCI should publish an updated list in the next weeks.

Use them at your risk
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    I would put a large amount of money on no commissaire batting an eyelid at those wheels. Yes technically anything over about 25mm deep needs specific approval but I have never seen a commissaire enforce that rule in 2/3/4 cat racing. Then again I'm surprised one would pull a rider up on 80mm wheels assuming the were 16spokes upwards.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I raced teh world duathlon champs this year. Nobody checked wheels. They were sh*t hot on your uniform having the right stickers on -(one guy wasn't allowed to race as his suit had had its ITU sticker peel off) - but wheels and bikes - nobody batted an eyelid.

What is 'wrong' with the wheel ? Looks like any other deep rim to me ?
  • Makes you want to buy them just because they're illegal, bit like weed... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Just out of interest. What is illegal about the wheels? Never knew there was a wheel law.
    proto wrote:
    Is any marshall really come to you and say: you can't race in cat. 3-4 with these? I certainly have never seen them going around weighing bikes or testing riders for EPO or other things the UCI rules imply... I suspect as long as you don't show up on a Lo Pro bike with a disc wheel, you are probably OK with pretty much anything... is that the case?

At Hillingdon I have never seen a bike weighed or anyone drug tested.

I have though seen a guy turned away from a 4th cat race for using 80mm deep sections front and back. Another time at same venue, possible the same race, the commissaire asked someone to remove their frame mounted pump and rear light :D
    paul2718 wrote:
    Any BC sanctioned race required a UCI compliant bike and equipment, strictly speaking.

Paul

If BC events are run to UCI laws does that mean Lance Armstrong is banned even from my local 40 mile sportive ?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Marshals in all sports don't care about anything apart from silly rules like stickers being on properly or bar end plugs on handlebars....

Saying this the guy who's rocking a sub UCI legal bike and the Marshals just asking him where he bought it from and how nice his bike is.....
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I do think bar end plugs is a bloody good rule. And you'd be a n*b to ride around with them missing anyway.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    FWIW, I actually race UCI events. And have never had my wheels checked. I think there is an assumption that whatever you rock up on is already approved, especially if it comes from a major brand name.

I've had the Comms pull out callipers to measure stuff to make sure it fits the 3:1 rule though, and they usually weigh TT and track bikes. Oddly, they never scrutinise road bikes.

At the Paralympic Games, besides checking basic equipment, weights, etc., the other main thing they checked was branding - making sure nothing fell afoul of the IOC rules on how many brand names are visible and their sizes, etc. A LOT of electrical tape was used to cover stuff up. Nuts.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    proto wrote:

I'm a commissaire and support the ruling - if there's strong cross-winds 80mm rims could be a liability in the middle of the bunch, particularly 4th cats. Frame fit pump and lights are "additional equipment" likely to fall-off and create a hazard for others.

Commissaire's main duty is to ensure the safety of the event for all - judgement on kit is made primarily on that basis or that it creates an unfair advantage.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Makes you want to buy them just because they're illegal, bit like weed... :wink:

There's shops here where you can use these wheels too :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Grill wrote:
    paul2718 wrote:

Paul

No. Only those that are also UCI sanctioned (such as Nationals) require UCI compliance in regards to equipment/position.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/rulebook/2014__Rulebook_-_05-GENERAL_ROAD_TRACK.pdf
    (A blast from the past!)

From your linked document read regulation 3.4, and then the attached UCI 1.3.018.

Strictly speaking for racing under BC regulations the equipment must meet UCI technical regulations. It's a restraint of trade on all those wheel builders building perfectly fine deeper section wheels, but there you go.

Paul
  • baccodaddy
    baccodaddy Posts: 128
    These are now on the uci approved list as of 10/4/15