pitch 2011 shock upgrade

janez
janez Posts: 6
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I'd like to upgrade rear suspension on my 2011 Pitch Comp (with Rock Shox Ario
it's either too hard/not responsive on smaller bumps or, with lower pressure, tends to bottom out on 2" drops + some other issues). I'm 5'11“, 155 lbs, I mostly ride fast single tracks with lots of roots , moderately rocky, 4-5“drops.

Since suspension performance is defined by suspension design as well as proper shock tune I was wondering if anyone has has come across a compression ratio/vertical travel curve (or maybe even some further data) for the bike so I could choose a suitable off-the-shelf shock. Or, alternatively, which shock tune (Rock Shox Monarch or Fox Float shocks) would you recommend for this bike?

Cheers!
Janez

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    4-5 feet drops or inch drops? Big difference. Yeah I would get a db inline personally or try a volume reducer in the air can of your current shock to help it ramp up more.
  • The Ario is a pretty basic shock. Cane Creek DB inline would be my choice although I have heard that some heavier riders can't get enough rebound damping. Try phoning TF Tuned, they have the DB Inline cheap and will be able to advise you on set up etc.
  • granted, getting a shock with a wide range of tuning options would be the safest bet (and it's what I'll probably do in the end), but my budget is tight right now so I'm checking second hand Fox/Rock Shox stuff - any idea what shock tune (so far I've come across M/M, M/L, L/L) would complement the bike's suspension design?

@ Cqc: you're right, it's 4-5 feet - my bad
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what is the leverage ratio of the bike and what is the shock size?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    You should have some stickers on your current shock indicating what tune they have used. Get a RS Monarch with a similar tune.

My friend replaced the shock on his Pitch to a Monarch and said it behaved much much better.
  • POAH wrote:
    what is the leverage ratio of the bike and what is the shock size?

the shock is 200x57 (7,875x2,2") and these are the only instantaneous leverage ratio and force/wheel travel curves I've managed to find
    http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=18768&pagenum=44
    (scroll almost to the bottom; as you'll notice there's only data for 2008 and 2010 models)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I've got a hardly used one year old RP23 in that size forsale for £150 its an MM which should suit your bike.

the RS shocks tend to have more compression compared to the fox shocks but any with an MM would be suitable. You should be able to find somthing second had in that size.
  • jairaj wrote:
    You should have some stickers on your current shock indicating what tune they have used. Get a RS Monarch with a similar tune.

My friend replaced the shock on his Pitch to a Monarch and said it behaved much much better.

checked - unfortunately, no stickers on there :?
  • in case anybody will ever need this: the stock Fox Float shock (http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/bik ... hpro#specs) was an M/L.