about AirZound , is there many kinds of it ? + what is ur ex

Mad Darsh
Mad Darsh Posts: 29
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello,

i was searching around for some horn really Loud and light and not very expensive for my bike
i found many people talking about the Airzound

but it's the first time to meet it
i found many kinds of it on amazon , is there is many kinds of it ?
what they are and that is the deference ?

also, what is your experience with it ?
how long it stands per day in a contuse usage in a very crowded day
and how long it last " the life of it after some time "
and do you recommend it ?

waiting your reply friends
thanks

Comments

• These things have been discussed many times at Commuting Chat. The general consensus is that the kind of people who use them are those nob-ends who get a kick out of berating people.

If you need a loud warning then your voice is good enough.
  • These things have been discussed many times at Commuting Chat. The general consensus is that the kind of people who use them are those nob-ends who get a kick out of berating people.

What utter nonsense, perhaps a few over zealous ones. I have one on my winter bike and have only used it a handful of times in an emergency when shouting isn't enough. Example: pedestrians walking out in front with headphones, cars pulling out of junctions etc ...

Anyway to answer the original point I have : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Zound-Rechargeable-Horn-Multicoloured/dp/B000PTIJB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410781725&sr=8-1&keywords=airzound+horn
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shouting has always worked for me. And much quicker than finding your horn. Ooer.
  • I had one and I used it for a bit but I found shouting works better and unless you really shout a lot then you don't run out of it (unlike compressed air in the AirZound).

The other advantage of shouting is that you don't need to take your hands off the bars+brakes to use it, where the AirZound I could never get placed well (on flat bars that was).

The AirZound does sound different to a car horn and I didn't find that motorists wouldn't register it well, especially when you need to try and conserve air so you give it short blasts rather than longer ones.

Additionally I found that it would make motorists confrontational as firstly they still thought that they were in the right and secondly were offended that I would use a horn at them. As I realized that I'm not going to change their attitude I wanted to avoid the extra attention.

Ultimately I changed my cycling style to limit the situations where I need to make myself known audibly. Probably not what you wanted to hear and maybe you would find it different in your cycling environment.
  • Hello,
    i ordered this one
    amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn-colors/dp/B000ACAMJC

but i found it runs out Very quickly, i am very disappointed
    yesterday the street was very crowded , i was refilling it every 10 minuts !

could anyone help ?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Ride down less crowded streets?
  • Really ? :mrgreen:
    i would like make sure if it's not a problem at the horn itself
  • cougie
    Where are you riding ?

I'd find better places.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Urex?

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-9586/ ... al/details

Good news - it should make your willy feel much better ;)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    These things have been discussed many times at Commuting Chat. The general consensus is that the kind of people who use them are those nob-ends who get a kick out of berating people.

What utter nonsense, perhaps a few over zealous ones. I have one on my winter bike and have only used it a handful of times in an emergency when shouting isn't enough. Example: pedestrians walking out in front with headphones, cars pulling out of junctions etc ...

If you can take your hands of the brake to squeeze a horn in an emergency, it isn't an emergency.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Mad Darsh wrote:
    Really ?

Really.

If you are riding down streets so crowded and yet still think you need to get through quicker by blowing a horn at people, then you need to change where you ride or accept that you need to ride slower.

You are unclear whether the streets are crowded with cars or pedestrians - if it's cars in a jam, no horn is going to make them move any quicker; and if it is pedestrians, well, you need to find a different route as riding through pedestrian-heavy areas blowing a horn is rather anti-social.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Weirdly I just had my first airzound experience, needless to say, everyone except the guy on the bike thought he was a c**t (maybe he did too, I'll never know).
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Mad Darsh wrote:
    Hello,
    i ordered this one
    amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn-colors/dp/B000ACAMJC

but i found it runs out Very quickly, i am very disappointed
    yesterday the street was very crowded , i was refilling it every 10 minuts !

could anyone help ?
    a doctor experienced in carrying out lobotomies?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • They sell it in Cycle Surgury and Condor.. So there must be some demand for it.

Yes I have one fitted and it is great for commuting in central London. Main use is buses/cars not using their mirrors, or pedestrians not using their eyes. Shouting isn't enough sometimes, and what do you shout that is less offensive?

Ps, pump it up the same time as the tyres.

Just my view.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    These things have been discussed many times at Commuting Chat. The general consensus is that the kind of people who use them are those nob-ends who get a kick out of berating people.

Great advice, you could shout 'nob-end' at people :roll:

If these things draw attention to a rider then why not in my opinion :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cougie
    Because its overloud - most people are looking for a HGV rather than a bike.

Cars can easily hear a shout and its far more 'adjustable' than a stupidly loud horn.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    cougie wrote:
    Because its overloud - most people are looking for a HGV rather than a bike.

Cars can easily hear a shout and its far more 'adjustable' than a stupidly loud horn.

If only I could have an HGV horn ... or rather better - a supertanker horn on my bike ...

With the supertanker one - best if I point it backwards because if I fire it forwards I'll shoot back 6 foot ... although that could be an advantage if the brakes have failed! ;)