Chinese carbon parts Ali express.

antsmithmk
antsmithmk Posts: 717
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Just a warning really...

I bought a carbon finishing kit, stem, bars, seat post about 3 months ago for a CX mod. It was obviously fake, I knew that before I paid the £70 ish to get it sent here. The seat post seat clamp was screwed to the post rather than it be any sort of one piece. Every time I remounted the CX, the seat turned 45 degrees. Binned it.

This week, I had a minor off. The bars have snapped where the shifters are clamped on. To be binned.

The stem is going in the bin before it sheers off and kills me or somebody else.

Hopefully this might save someone else some cash and hassle. Lesson learned here.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    edited September 2014
    You pays your money for knock off goods and you take your chance, hope you weren't hurt in the off though
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The lesson here is that supplier is selling dody parts not the fact they are chinese or there are installation problems.

I am not sure what you mean about the seat post clamp being screwed into the post. If I see this right the clamp you mention is not a seat post clamp but a seat post height marker. you still need a seat post clamp. Your shifters may have been done too tight causing the bars to fail. Did you use carbon paste and only torque to 4Nm? If no to either then thats probably the reason why they snapped I have some chinese MTB carbon bars and chinese made Deda carbon bars (deda don't do it in house I am sure) that have not snapped neither will they are they are properly made (and the shifter clamps are not over torqued), I have other chinese carbon parts which are as good as anything produced by a major brand. The problem is not they are chinese.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The lesson here is that supplier is selling dody parts not the fact they are chinese or there are installation problems.

I am not sure what you mean about the seat post clamp being screwed into the post. If I see this right the clamp you mention is not a seat post clamp but a seat post height marker. you still need a seat post clamp. Your shifters may have been done too tight causing the bars to fail. Did you use carbon paste and only torque to 4Nm? If no to either then thats probably the reason why they snapped I have some chinese MTB carbon bars and chinese made Deda carbon bars (deda don't do it in house I am sure) that have not snapped neither will they are they are properly made (and the shifter clamps are not over torqued), I have other chinese carbon parts which are as good as anything produced by a major brand. The problem is not they are chinese.

This ^^^

And you did right by removing the stem. If you didn't use a torque wrench to fit the shifters, you probably didn't use one to fit the stem either.
    It was obviously fake

Do you mean that the parts were sold to you as a particular brand, but weren't made by that brand?
  • Hi. Yes I used a torque wrench.

Difficult to describe the seat post issue... Basically the post part had a thread cut into the end which had been used to secure it into the saddle clamp. Shifting your bum one way tightened it onto the post, shorting the other turned the saddle to any angle you liked. It would have been possible to do a complete 360.

And by fake I mean it was labelled as Ritchley gear.
  • So you knowingly bought some counterfeit parts (don't tell me you expected them to be genuine) and now you are pissed off because they failed?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    So you knowingly bought some counterfeit parts (don't tell me you expected them to be genuine) and now you are pissed off because they failed?
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Just a warning really...

climb off your high horse
  • Crozza wrote:

I get your point, but the thread title is misleading. For what we know they might not even be chinese parts, they might be made by a guy in a shed in Indonesia or in India... the title should read "Ritchey counterfeit parts on Aliexpress"
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    antsmithmk wrote:
    It was obviously fake, I knew that before I paid the £70 ish to get it sent here.

the OP was very clear to anyone who bothered to read it - the guy was simply trying to warn people against buying fake carbon parts

you yourself have issued a number of similar warnings to people in the past in the context of wheels, so not sure why you are giving him a hard time
  • Crozza wrote:
    so not sure why you are giving him a hard time

Possibly because knowingly buying counterfeit stuff is being part of what is after all still considered a crime?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Crozza wrote:
    so not sure why you are giving him a hard time

Possibly because knowingly buying counterfeit stuff is being part of what is after all still considered a crime?

Got to agree here, if people didn't buy this stuff it wouldn't be produced would it and you've also got to think about the way in which it gets manufactured, I'm fairly certain the factories aren't as legit as they should be when it comes to things like conditions for the staff etc etc. :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Crozza wrote:
    antsmithmk wrote:
    It was obviously fake, I knew that before I paid the £70 ish to get it sent here.

the OP was very clear to anyone who bothered to read it - the guy was simply trying to warn people against buying fake carbon parts

you yourself have issued a number of similar warnings to people in the past in the context of wheels, so not sure why you are giving him a hard time

Thanks mate. Nice to know there are still some decent folk about.
  • Crozza wrote:

I get your point, but the thread title is misleading. For what we know they might not even be chinese parts, they might be made by a guy in a shed in Indonesia or in India... the title should read "Ritchey counterfeit parts on Aliexpress"

Really? That's the weakest excuse ever. You've climbed on your high horse again, been called out and have now changed tack. Sorry for posting a thread on your forum, I'll seek permission in future.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Crozza wrote:

Really? That's the weakest excuse ever. You've climbed on your high horse again, been called out and have now changed tack. Sorry for posting a thread on your forum, I'll seek permission in future.

Careful, you'll be getting a warning from the mods re banning you for calling one of their own out. :lol:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.