Shimano Zee brake lever repair help needed.

arcadian
arcadian Posts: 35
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Was out for a ride today, one section that is tight between trees I messed up and clipped my handlebar and edge of the brake lever of a tree at speed.

Heard a ping as it happened (wasn't actually a heavy enough knock to make me fall) then saw the lever for the front brake had popped off of the lever body/reservoir. The lever itself is unbent and in one piece as is the main body.

The only bit which has broken is a plastic mount that the piston thingy (may not be the technical term) between the lever and lever body/reservoir has snapped. I'm guessing that was a designed weak point to prevent the main body from taking damage?

Current problem I'm having is after a look online I can't see spare parts for this plastic mount - is this something I can replace? The other option is that a sharp-eyed friend was able to see the broken off plastic part, which broke cleanly and would fit back into the other half still in the lever body - could I just glue this plastic mount back in?

Any ideas on what I could do to fix it or find spares would be appreciated - I tried Madison (uk shimano distributor) but their website isn't loading for me today. Thanks :)

Comments

• for an important part like that, i'd get a new lever TBH
  • Shimano Z brake lever parts diagram is here
    http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... 0-3431.pdf

Quote the shimano part number for the brake lever to madison and ask them to ring shimano for the part.
    Their email is sales@madison.co.uk
    Phone 0870 034 7226

worst case scenario is the part isnt available or costs too much

BTW I dont work there, its just really quick to google this stuff for you
  • Shimano Z brake lever parts diagram is here
    http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... 0-3431.pdf

Quote the shimano part number for the brake lever to madison and ask them to ring shimano for the part.
    Their email is sales@madison.co.uk
    Phone 0870 034 7226

BTW I dont work there, its just really quick to google this stuff for you

Haha I shouldn't really validate that last comment with a response, but as you took the time to add passive aggressive douchebaggery on the end, why not eh?
    Current problem I'm having is after a look online I can't see spare parts for this plastic mount - is this something I can replace?
    From my first post, I had seen the diagram but there was no part listed for what had been broken. And when I said I tried Madison, I meant emailed, but as their website was down at the time I couldn't look to see if the part was listed there.

As for Madison, they responded within 2 days and were really helpful but sadly the plastic part isn't something that can be replaced.
    Decided a bodge for a brake wasn't worth the risk, but the levers are available for ~£20 so not too disastrous :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With care it's possible to take apart a lever that has failed in another manner to rob of that plastic bit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.