How much have groupsets moved on over the past 5 years?

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited September 2014 in MTB general
I am currently running a mix of X-0 and XTR (9 speed) on my hard tail. These parts are from about five years ago, but still going strong.

I notice that most groupsets these days are 10/11 speed, so when things do require an upgrade I will have to choose whether to stay with a triple 9 speed setup or go for a 2x10 or 1x11 setup.

I doubt I would go for the same level kit, I would probably go for XT.

So how does the old X0/XTR compare to modern XT?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Favourably. If not better. I just went back to 9 speed XTR. I think the 8/9 speed kit runs smoother. In fact I'd say my years old XT 8 speed on another bike is smoothest of all.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My old mid 1990's orange has LX and shifts very cleanly all be it as 8 speed. It is also very smooth to ride.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I remember 8 speed LX on my old 90s Saracen Protrax SE :)

IMG_0423.jpg

Excuse the saddle on it though, the original Flight Ti saddle had just been sold off. I eventually sold the bike on retrobike.

So back to the original question, would I be better off trying to keep the 9speed kit running for as long as possible before considering a switch to 10 speed XT? A full kit swap seems to be about £250ish, but getting older parts seems to be getting trickier.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd keep what you have until it dies.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would just keep going, nice saddle :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with SS, keep going with what you have and replace as necesary....

You can use a 10 speed crankset and chain with 9 speed, you can even use a 9 speed rear mech with 10 speed IF you use flat barred road shifters, so you can muddle along for a while yet!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.