difference in time expected from a better DH bike

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited September 2014 in MTB general
I have bought my first DH bike in the last couple of weeks its a Giant faith 2 its 20kg with some 32 boxer forks probably about 03 and a Manitou 4 way swinger. I changed the spring in the front and think I now have the right one as for the rear spring its the one which came on it and not sure what weighting it is but seems to sag correctly for my weight. I got down fort William in 7:30mins on that but kept having to slow down due to not being able to either hold on or my feet kept coming of the pedals. Then I noticed on the same sections people was coming down on much newer rigs and looking like their arms ect where barely bouncing at all.

Anyway my question is if I was to buy a half decent newer DH bike how much time would I be likely to reduce my run by?

Thanks
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    This may sound a little harsh but to me it sounds more like a technique issue and you're looking for the bike to compensate for this. I doubt you'd be getting much time off with a better bike but you could always hire one of the Session's from Alpine Bikes to try. What was it that meant you couldn't hold on? You were too tired or the bike was getting ripped away from you? Fitness and technique are the solution to the former and set up and technique (seeing a theme here?) are the solution to the latter without spending money.

A badly set up new bike isn't going to perform as well as a well set up older bike. From what you've said you maybe don't sound so confident in how to set up suspension. There are some good guides if you search for them. Bar position, brake position, bar height and many other things can make a huge difference to how the bike rides not to mention a few psi in the tyres can completely alter things.
  • More modern forks will be stiffer which makes it easier to hold a line. The old 32 boxxers reall suffer bad flex. Good (but not all) modern forks and shocks are much better controlled which means better grip, better stability, more speed over rocky sections and less fatigue.
    How much time a modern bike will save you on a run depends on how much the bike is holding you back and how much is down to your ability.
    I would forget about the weight of your DH bike, weight losses from the bike are about saving fractions of a second over 3 minute tracks.
    I know of one DH rider with a very high spec carbon Devinci Wilson who can't keep up with a local lad on an ancient and battered Orange Patriot.
  • jon1993 wrote:
    not being able to either hold on or my feet kept coming of the pedals

I'd work on technique. Modern bike or not, your feet shouldn't be coming off the pedals
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8