Alice in wonderland

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,347
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
Lewis Carroll took mind altering drugs, well so they say:

http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/carroll/aiwl5.html

How is it that drugs in the Victorian era were accepted and now they are socially unaccepted? Is it because it was the eminent who used to take the stuff and now it's the unemployed trackie wearing hoody, wandering aimlessly across city centres staggering towards Boots for his Methadone script?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Don't suppose LC went on shoplifting and thieving sprees to fund his habit either.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I wonder if he watched Jeremy Kyle too?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    arran77 wrote:
    I wonder if he watched Jeremy Kyle too?

Wearing their tracky bottoms?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Usually the scum take on the habits of the idle rich but the working class transport system, the bicycle, has now become the upper class toy, not that this has any thing to do with drugs :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    team47b wrote:
    Usually the scum take on the habits of the idle rich but the working class transport system, the bicycle, has now become the upper class toy, not that this has any thing to do with drugs :D
    Are you trying to imply that you're upper class? Maybe there is a drugs connection here :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    The real Alice is buried in a church yard at Lyndhurst in the New Forest.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • arran77
    Mr Goo wrote:

Alice, Alice who the the f*ck is Alice.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Language Timothy.
    Just saying that the real Alice from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland is buried near me.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Mr Goo wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Language Timothy.
    Just saying that the real Alice from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland is buried near me.
    For those of a higher age group than they may like, the above was a well known song.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • arran77
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Language Timothy.
    For those of a higher age group than they may like, the above was a well known song.

Indeed.....not the original but funny none the less :lol:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHbrq3J-LeI

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    arran77 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Language Timothy.

the problem is its a worm song, that eats into your brain and lodges there ready for the time your kids say something about a girl called Alice at school........
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I’m not sure it was all that acceptable in the 19thC, or even an upper class issue; laudanum (and other opium derivatives) were dirt cheap, sold for everything from pain relief to quasi-recreational use and addiction was common. When Bayer first refined heroine they marketed it as a cure for opiate addiction!

Anyway these sort of things are not “the poor can’t be trusted,” class-war-in-reverse issues - much as some people of certain political persuasions are keen to see them as such. We don’t mind substance abuse per se, what we mind is the fallout (broken families, crime etc); as the wealthy are few and possess the means to mitigate the fallout of their substance abuse the wider impact of upper-class drug use is insignificant; when the many get into the same destructive and addictive substances the fallout becomes a major social issue.
  • Stevo_666
    arran77 wrote:

Good old Chubby - possibly the most famous resident of my home town :lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    £$€ is the reason, its only the tax implication thats the issue, its the same with hydrogen cars.

There would be no need to break into houses to fund a habit if it were not illegal, its the fact drugs are illegal that causes the high value in price.
    Ive never smoked, I very occasionally drink and once took wacky backy which feked me right up but I've nothing against those that do. I think with decent control it could be a totally self funding issue that could both help those that suffer in pain and assist the costs of the NHS through taxation.
    Living MY dream.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    As I understand it, after WWII the Americans were quite keen for their new Cold War allies to pitch in on their War On Drugs. Prior to the 1960s, the UK had a pretty progressive policy (try saying that when you're stoned), even prescribing clinically pure drugs to addicts to prevent them from breaking the law to ensure a supply.

Of course, after drugs were criminalised, their use has steadily increased ever since and the authorities are not really in a position to control it any more. The media would jump all over it if a return to the old British system were posited so no politician would ever have the courage to suggest it; it would be career suicide.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

[url]<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHbrq3J-LeI&lt;/span&gt;[/url]
    nah..
    Paul Rodgers
    Chris Rea..
    Old potty mouth brown just been done for reading the paper
    http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess ... er-7663136

Lewis Carroll lived in Croft on Tees (near the 'boro) from 1843 to 1850,
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

[url]<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHbrq3J-LeI&lt;/span&gt;[/url]
    nah..
    Paul Rodgers
    Chris Rea..

I was talking about Redcar rather than the Boro, way classier :)

web-redcar-alamy.jpg

Anyhow, I'll raise you:
    - Paul Daniels
    - David Coverdale (Deep Purple/Whitesnake)
    - Chris Norman (lead singer of Smokie)
    - Danny Hart (former Downhill World Champ)
    - Sir Rex Hunt (ex governor of the Falklands)
    - Ridley Scott - OK he only used to work there.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    VTech wrote:
    There would be no need to break into houses to fund a habit if it were not illegal, its the fact drugs are illegal that causes the high value in price.

I have to admit, I agree.

In my occupation, I have come across drug addicts who go through an eternal cycle of addiction and then methadone use. I have known addicts who have been on methadone 'scripts' for years.
    In Scotland, it costs £47k per annum on average to put an addict on methadone. Pharmacists get £110k per annum to dispense the stuff. It doesn't work and it costs a fortune. It is on someone's interest to maintain the status quo.
    In France, heroin addicts are put on morphine and the addiction is broken in 3 weeks.
    Seen as there is a world shortage of medicinal morphine, would it not be better to buy opium directly from the Mujaheddin - "$100 per kilo of opium and $40 for the Kalashnikov Abdul" thereby curing the problem in Afghanistan (where nothing grows quite like Poppy's given the arid landscape).
    Sure, if I was an opium grower in the Middle East and some infidel told me to burn the stuff, I would pick up a gun.

On a more controversial tack, is it not the side effect of capitalism that the flotsam and jettison become the disillusioned, disenfranchised underclass who seek drugs for kicks " 'cos there's f*ck all else to do" and then we penalise them by making their recreation illegal?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

nah..
    Paul Rodgers
    Chris Rea..

I was talking about Redcar rather than the Boro, way classier :)

web-redcar-alamy.jpg

Anyhow, I'll raise you:
    - Paul Daniels
    - David Coverdale (Deep Purple/Whitesnake)
    - Chris Norman (lead singer of Smokie)
    - Danny Hart (former Downhill World Champ)
    - Sir Rex Hunt (ex governor of the Falklands)
    - Ridley Scott - OK he only used to work there.

ahh ok i'll give you that but I have to trump the 'redka' classier bit, as I spent many years in marske-by-Sea :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    DesB3rd wrote:
    I’m not sure it was all that acceptable in the 19thC, or even an upper class issue; laudanum (and other opium derivatives) were dirt cheap, sold for everything from pain relief to quasi-recreational use and addiction was common. When Bayer first refined heroine they marketed it as a cure for opiate addiction!

Laudanum was not just the preserve of Cambridge poets, it was widely used by agricultural labourers in the surrounding countryside not surprising given the grim Fenland winters. My theory is that the widespread use of drugs in places like Huntingdon and Ramsey are an atavistic remnant of generations of addiction - that and having good transport links with Edinburgh.
  • Stevo_666
    ahh ok i'll give you that but I have to trump the 'redka' classier bit, as I spent many years in marske-by-Sea :D
    You're reet posh, you are... :lol: