New Trek Superfly 6

m00nbadger
m00nbadger Posts: 53
edited September 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Evening all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Have spent the last 3 or so months hunting a bike out, and reading lots of posts/comments/opinion from here and a few other forums. After much deliberation, and some buggering about from Evans Cycles, I've picked up a Trek Superfly 6. Fell in love with it when I saw it!

IMG_2074.jpg

Used to be well into MTB'ing years back in my teens but after having my amazing (well I thought it was at the time) Carrera stolen it knocked the wind out of my sails. It had grip shif which I thought was mega at the time!

Anyway, looking forward to getting back into MTB'ing on a semi-serious level when my fitness picks up (do a lot of running but after 45 mins on the bike today I'm clearly not as fit as I thought I was!).

So just thought I'd post a pic. Totally standard except some Nukeproof pedals. And a missing crank plug that Evans seem to have forgotten to put on before giving me the bike!

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Nice step up from a Carrera that's for sure.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There shouldn't be a plug on the driveside crank arm if that is what you are thinking.....

Nice looking bikes, and Carreras can indeed be great (check out the hardtail thread linked to from my sig)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi Rookie, thanks for the info on the crank, just seems a bit weird though - surely it must get full of dirt etc?

Having seen your passion for the Carrera's I thought you might come out in support of them! Mine was great when I was 15. It weighed an absolute ton though. No featherweight like your machine!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nope, nothing on the crank, doesn't fill with mud either.

Saddle looks a very long way back - is that where you put it?
  • I also had that same thought, i kept staring at it thinking "surely that is not supposed to be like that?" And i also asked on my build thread and i got confirmation of no cap.

Even if crap gets in there, its not a problem really, as there is nothing in there for it to harm.

I really like them frames. I think the shape is awesome.
  • Cheers for the insight guys, defo thought it would need a plug of some sort!

Njee, I've adjusted the saddle, no idea why it was that far back to begin with. Certainly needed a good nudge forward! The seat is very uncomfortable though - not sure if that's my arse getting used to saddle again though...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Looks like an Evoke? I've got one on my Superfly (albeit the RXL version) and find it extremely comfy. Personal though!
  • Nice looking bike, not sure why I'm not drawn too trek's but yours in that colour is a winner, hope you enjoy riding it.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • yeah it is an evoke seat - think its likely more that I've not really been in the saddle for years!

thanks for the compliments guys. going out for another blast on it now - 3rd time in 3 days...feel like a kid again!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    m00nbadger wrote:
    Having seen your passion for the Carrera's I thought you might come out in support of them! Mine was great when I was 15. It weighed an absolute ton though. No featherweight like your machine!
    The older frames are really good, just as good as a similar age Rockhopper for example.

Yes they were no flyweights when new due to the budget components, but as you can see, that is fixable!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.