What is the point of gear outers?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited September 2014 in MTB general
On my first ever build, i bought gear and brake cable outers separately. Then the second time round i decided that id just use brake outers on the gears. Since that time i never ever used gear outers again. I have never ever had any sort of issue by using brake outers on my gears.

I was fixing a friends bike yesterday, and it involved taking off the gear cables. Then it made me think. What is the actual point of having a different outer for a gear cable, and a different outer for a brake cable. If anything, using brake outers on gears are better, surely. As they are larger, so technically are less likely to produce friction with the gear inner.

Am i missing something? Why isnt it a usual thing to just use brake outers for gears too. Its easier, especially if you get a bit of flaring, and as far as i can see, the only difference is that you are going to have less friction by using a brake outer due to the larger diameter.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Brake outers have a coil of metal running through them to make them strong in compression. Gear outers have wires running lengthways through the cable to make them stiffer.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Cut open the outers and you'll see they're constructed differently - gear outers use a wire reinforcement along the length whereas brakes are spiral reinforced - years ago we got away with spiral for both, but Shimano messed it up for everyone. Modern gear systems rely on the outer not compressing to maintain accurate shifting - keep using brake outers and you'll find you can change gears when you turn your bars!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for the replies.

That does make sense now. I totally forgot about the different reinforcements they had. I still get accurate and reliable shifting even with brake outers though. And shifting while turning? Thats never happened!