Upgrade wheels on commuter Trek 7100FX

Robbo73
Robbo73 Posts: 15
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

I have a Trek 7100 FX which I have had for 8-9 years now. It cost me about £400 new and although a heavy frame it does the job. It's used for the short 4 mile round trip commute to the station each morning and want to use it more for some toe paths and a the roads aren't the smoothest here. live in the Chilterns so quite hilly. The frame is quite a heavy old unit....I was wondering if anyone could advise if it's worth the original wheels and tires on the bike. I have 38c x700 tires on and fancy a change to more of a cross tyre and better wheels. Is it worth considering? Recommendations welcome. I suspect it's not worth spending too much on these however guess a budget of about £200 for the pair could do a better job?
Thanks!
Iain

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even the heaviest frame will only be half a kilo heavier than a good ally one, most the weight will be elsewhere.

Wheel wise, you are looking for 29er wheels, I presume to take disc brakes?

Shop around for some lighter folding bead tyres and make sure you have reasonably lightweight tubes and you could easily save near to a kilo.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks. It doesn't currently have disc brakes...is this something you would recommend I look at and how much would that upgrade cost?

Regards,
    Iain
  • The Rookie
    I wouldn't suggest changing to discs, big expense, especially if you don't have the mounts on the frame or forks!

So basically you need 700c road bike wheels, you need to check the width of the wheel at the rear (outer of locknut, to outer face of locknut) road bikes use 130mm and MTBs 135mm as a rule of thumb.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Shimano R500 road wheels should do you. Reasonable weight and mine have done around 12,000 miles with no maintenance and no problems.
    They're around £110 for a pair
  • The Rookie
    As long as the rear wheel is 130mm OLD.