Mounting lights on a carbon wing-shaped bar?

HebdenBiker
HebdenBiker Posts: 787
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Evening all. I want to get one of those carbon integrated stem/bar things. The bar tops are oval/aerofoil shaped rather than round, as is the stem section.

I run LED torches on the commute, and the standard mounts I use require a round bar. So how can I fix my torches to a non-round bar?

...And for that matter, how will I mount a Garmin 200 out front?

Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    When I bought an integrated bar/stem, I specifically bought one with a computer holder, like the one pictured. However, it's only strong enough for a computer and a blinky. For use with a heavier light, I had to shorten the bit that extends out from the bars to make it stiff enough.

Alternatively, there are ways of mounting lights etc in other places, such as stem spacers. I believe the ones made by Minoura are popular. I remember seeing some more blingy carbon ones somewhere too.
  • Thanks man. That Minoura thing is a rather inelegant solution though :D What are those bars and where can I get 'em?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    edited September 2014
    $_1.JPG

$_1.JPG
  • Found those bars on Aliexpress. They're the same weight as my current bar/stem, which defeats the object. Ouija, got a link for the 2nd of your pics?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Found those bars on Aliexpress. They're the same weight as my current bar/stem, which defeats the object. Ouija, got a link for the 2nd of your pics?

Edited. Just click on the pictures.
  • Thanks for that. I'm going to reconsider the integrated bar. They're fine if you don't ride at night but impractical if you want to run a Garmin and two torches up front.