Heavy Rider

jdjn13
jdjn13 Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

I am currently doing research into possible road bikes that I will purchase in the future. I am currently 24 stone (336lbs) down from 25 stone (350lbs) and riding an old mountain bike regularly. When I get down to around the 20stone (280lbs) mark I will be looking to get a road bike.

I will be looking to spend somewhere around £600. Can you recommend any bikes that are comfortable and strong for the heavier rider. I have read on other pages that guys heavier than me have got on very well on road bikes (if potholes are avoided), but I am using it as a motivation to lose the extra weight, with a view to potentially joining a club one day.

I would appreciate any advice, and if any other bigger guys can share their experience that would be fantastic!

Cheers,

Joe.

Comments

• Realistically it will take you nearly one year to lose 4 stones, so it's probably best to ask closer to the deadline, as offers come and go and at that price point you need to look for an offer to get something decent
    left the forum March 2023
  • We'll, I've done a stone in 2 weeks so we shall see. I still would like advice as to what to look out for.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    jdjn13 wrote:
    We'll, I've done a stone in 2 weeks so we shall see.
    :shock: that means I can get to my target weight in three weeks! How do you do it?
  • Genesis Croix de Fer 10? A bit off budget, but a seriously solid bike
  • Genesis Croix de Fer 10? A bit off budget, but a seriously solid bike

Thanks. The guys at the bike shops I've visited said I wouldn't have a problem on most now, but I wasn't sure whether they were just wanting to make a sale.
  • jdjn13 wrote:
    Genesis Croix de Fer 10? A bit off budget, but a seriously solid bike

Thanks. The guys at the bike shops I've visited said I wouldn't have a problem on most now, but I wasn't sure whether they were just wanting to make a sale.

You will thrash the wheels in no time on a road bike...

This? Very well regarded

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFF2T ... -road-bike
  • jdjn13 wrote:
    Genesis Croix de Fer 10? A bit off budget, but a seriously solid bike

You will thrash the wheels in no time on a road bike...

This? Very well regarded

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFF2T ... -road-bike

Brilliant. Surely as long as their are enough spokes in the wheels, strong rims and careful riding then the wheels will be fine. As I said guys as heavy and heavier than me have ridden 1000's of miles on road bikes without problems.
  • Lots of frames will be fine but at that price point the wheels not be up to it (unless its 2nd hand with good wheels). Whatever you get budget to sell the OEM wheels unused and replace with 36spoke F & R handbuilts wheels otherwise its a world of broken spokes and hassle. I know cause I started five years ago at your weight - now 17.5st and love my road bike but only now I know about what wheels to get do I get peace to ride it.
  • Wheels are a major issue. I have wheel issues even at 15st!

But geometry is also an important issue. That Kaff is good but the head tube is like 170mm.

Presumably (i hope) you are over 6 foot.... ? It may not be possible for you to get so low. Saddle way above handdlebars

Getting low when heavy adds extra stress to back and arms. Also at some point it becomes anatomically impossible, even for those with medium extra bits!

Get those in the shops that say you are fine on a road bike to let you test ride one. Then you'll see if they really mean it!.
  • Hi,i got a dety 3 about three years ago when I was 19+stone and have put a lot of milage on it with only 3 spokes popped on the stock wheels,my routes are on some very poor surfaces as the roads here are crap,I had a madone 4.5 which took my weight as well,as previous posters have advised,the wheel must be tough,google the reviews on the wheelsets and youll be fine
  • nollag wrote:
    ... with only 3 spokes popped on the stock wheels

Only 3???? Bombproof then... :wink:
  • J90
    J90 Posts: 46
    I'd say get a quality steel, maybe aluminium, frame that can take 28 or 32mm tyres and get some solid wheels built.

Then don't wait to get on the bike, just start straight away. Good luck getting fitter!
  • nollag wrote:
    ... with only 3 spokes popped on the stock wheels

Only 3???? Bombproof then... :wink:
    the stock wheels are heavy like myself,the guy at the lbs was shoving me towards a hybrid but I had one and found it too slow,
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Good job on the weight loss. As above I would wait until you get below 20 stone and you may need to get wheels built for you which are strong with plenty of spokes. Or you could try a cyclocross bike which would be similar to a road bike but be stronger and a bit heavier.