CX50 brakes - something is wrong....

b0redom
b0redom Posts: 21
edited September 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi All,
I recently bought an fitted some CX50 brakes to my Specialized Tricross Xpert frame. See picture below. They feel really spongy, so I took them to a LBS who told me that they are set up completely wrong, and the massive angles are to blame for them feeling rubbish. The guy there then said he'd never seen a brake that looked anything like it, so I'm a bit dubious.....

cx50.jpg

I stripped some of the black cable shielding on the one I put on the front (which is also really spongey), and it's re-enforced with wire coiling around the brake cable under the plastic, so it's not possible to shorten the length.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just bin the Cx50s and get something else? If so what?

I'm going to be using my tricross as a winter trainer as I have IM Melbourne in March. I may also take it on some trails to break up the monotony of road biking.

Thanks....

b0redom

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The angle of the arms is way too wide - the flanges for the brake pad mount need to be just-off vertical / aligned with the rim walls - can you shorten the spacers on the brake pads? Aim to get the angle of the straddle wire 90 degrees at the hanger and about two-fingers width above the tyre. Look for some online tutorials for more help.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've found some spacers which came with the brakes, but there are no replacement bolts, so I can't use them. :roll:

Also, as I said, the black sheathed bit of the wire is lined on the inside with some wire which coils around the brake cable so I can't shorten it.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Check out the tech docs at this link. You need to change to the shorter spacers.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content ... _road.html
  • b0redom wrote:
    I've found some spacers which came with the brakes, but there are no replacement bolts, so I can't use them. :roll:

Also, as I said, the black sheathed bit of the wire is lined on the inside with some wire which coils around the brake cable so I can't shorten it.

The bolt is part of the pad on those brakes
    As said above, smaller washers

CX50's are superb Canti Brakes and very hard to set up badly (if you follow the instructions!)