Wheels for an 80s Raleigh

Lifeboy123
Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Im looking to restore an old 80s Raleigh Medale...10sp with down tube shifters

Looking for some decent chrome ( or looking) wheels to restore it back as a winter steed

any ideas ..I don't want to spend to much ..

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Do you want new wheels or some older or used stuff?
    I got some older stuff lying around , maybe I can provide you.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Chrome architypes on 105 hubs or some factory built cxp22 mavics?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I imagine by 10 speed you mean (2 x) 5 speed?

Chrome rims are sh*t.

I've put some px model 'B's on my 80's Raleigh, it goes like stink now and looks ... well, not original.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    First thing you need to do is check the dropout spacing. On an 80's frame it may be 126mm or even 120mm (if it's a 2 x 5 speed) which will mean some fettling to get it compatible with modern 130mm hubs.

Spreading a 126mm dropout is probably no big deal but if they are 120mm you may need to get some advice on the best route to do the job.

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Avoid chrome plated steel rims unless you want to die. Plenty of used wheels of that era available on ebay or retrobike for no more than £50/pair.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Assuming that you have checked the dropout spacing then you might want to look at getting some decent hubs off somewhere like fleabay and then getting some nice wheels built up. I got some Veloce hubs in fantastic condition a few years ago and then matched with silver Open Pros, built up with DT Swiss Competition and they look great. Other options include some 2000ish Campag Records with Ambrossio Excellights which can be had in silver if you look around. Again, Competition spokes finish the look and the wheels will be fantastic all rounders:

SDC12808.jpg

If you are Shimano then same kind of logic applies :)
  • The best retro rim is the H plus Son TB14 14mm deep 23mm wide a bit heavy but it comes polished or grey or black. a very clssy looking rim. The best hubs to look for if you are running shimano are silver Ultegra 6600 or older DA 7403. Both are avaiable still. You rear spacing is likely to be 126mm in which case it does not even need to be cold set. Ideal would be a set of shimano 6402 hubs as these are classic looking hubs but ultegra 8 speed which will accept a 10 speed cassette.

Novatec A171/F172 hubs also look quite retro in polished silver.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.