The beginners guide to assos shorts

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Thinking about some decent shorts - I have problem where my hamstring joins my pelvis - which after 3 years of seeing medical experts - comes down to high risk surgery - with only a 40% chance of success - or manage the problem the best I can. I dont want to discuss that here - but I want to buy some decent shorts to get me as comfy as I can

So I fancied some assos shorts - I can get the t pro for around £80 - with an s2 pad - whatever that means - but I hear about Uno and Mille and S5 and S7 Pads - I don't mind spending a bit more - but could somebody put the shorts in order of quality and the benefits of each........

over to the experts.....

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The S2 is an older generation pad - I haven't used this but others continue to speak highly of it.

The S5 (light blue) range is currently being phased out - I presume no longer made and old stock is being sold off. In this range, the Uno is the entry level bib with tight/ race fit/ slightly shorter in the leg. The Mille is priced mid range and provides a thicker pad/ more relaxed fit with slightly longer leg and an option for an even longer leg for those of such dimensions. Effectively these are sold as best suited for comfort on longer rides. The F13 was the top of the range bib with more of a race fit and what appears to be the hardest wearing seat material in contact with the saddle. On a 6 day cycle a couple of years ago I brought all three along and found the F13 the most comfortable for all day riding.

The S7 are the new/ current range - purple padding - and I haven't much experience so can't really comment other than on the T.campionissimo bibs which I have used this summer. Very expensive (Wiggle have a v good price at the moment) and very different to the S5! The material feels very different and the shorts feel significantly lighter with thinner padding. I can't quite make my mind up as to whether they represent an improvement over the S5 Mille and F13 which I've used for ages. Certainly they represent a new rrp pricing level which I'm not comfortable with!

The S5s will become more difficult to purchase in specific sizes - I'd happily recommend the Mille and F13.

The S7s have received some great feedback but others will have to comment on them as my experience is limited and inconclusive.

Hope that's of some help.

Peter
  • I have the S7's, great bibs. At the end of the day you will need to get to a shop and try them on to see what sorts your body shape etc the best.
  • Just sold my Assos Mille S5 bibs on here as I reckon that my Chapeau Pave are comfier (for me anyway). I have heard great things about Morvelo bibs as well. So the might of the Swiss versus 2 small English companies with all sourcing pads out of Italy...
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I thought my Mavic 125 were the most comfy bibs ever, but bought some S7 Cento a few weeks ago.

They are in a different class to anything else.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Thanks guys - so in your opinion what are the pro's and cons of these @ £116 & £80* (voucher available for factory outlet)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/asso ... -prod31921

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/s ... rt-s2.html
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It just depends if you like the S2 pad or not. Personally I think it's the best insert they have ever done, but the S5 or S7 might suit your bum better.

Don't just go for the S2 because it's cheaper ...
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    I thought my Mavic 125 were the most comfy bibs ever, but bought some S7 Cento a few weeks ago.

They are in a different class to anything else.

I have the Mavic 125's too and the pad is absolutely superb (although I'm not fussed on the leg grippers) so it is interesting that you describe the Assos shorts as a different class - I'm going to have to try them next time.