Rapha Hardshell or Softshell

RyanDownie
RyanDownie Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

first post here but spent a lot of time researching forums and online about purchasing my winter clothing. This is my first winter out on the bike.

I have set on getting a Rapha jacket. I don't know what to get out of the Hardshell Jacket or the Softshell Jacket. I live just outside the Lake District and the winters are not terribly cold compared to some.

I have read while the hardshell is really the way to go as its fully water replant and wind proof it is basically isn't as breathable as the soft-shell and anything above 5c will result in getting hot and perspiration will stay inside the jacket?

Then there is the soft-shell where it isn't fully water repellant and it rains a lot here.

So I am just seeing what you guys would go for out of the two?

Comments

• None they are way overpriced for what they are.
  • What would you recommend? I like the look of them as they are quite subdued compared to other brands.
  • If I had the cash, then I'd go for the softshell out of the two - I think breathability over waterproofness (is there such a word?) is more desirable. It won't be raining half as much as you'll be sweating. If you're going to get caught in a heavy shower, then I'd take along a thin race-type jacket (cape) to pop on and off again. Anyroad, it doesn't rain that much round here!?(amazing what a few dry and warm days does to the memory!)

I've never had any experience of either jacket though, tbh, so I can't speak for it's breathability or lack thereof.

Over to you, Hardshell owners...
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Have both the hard and soft shell. Use the soft shell by far the most whilst the hard shell is reserved for only the coldest days (when I tend to think sod it and do an hour on the rollers in the warmth !). If you are more concerned about the rain than the cold maybe look at some of the specific rain jackets ?

Edit
    Post crossed with others and your follow on question. For rain specific I like the Castelli Gabba jersey, it is a jersey rather than a jacket but with a proper base layer works for most rain conditions.
  • @lakesLuddite thanks for your comment, I wish it didn't rain that much round here! We have been good the last couple of months for sure.

@maccaria thanks, yeah I am thinking that the hardshell might be a little overkill due it it still being warm up here, it will only hit freezing on a couple of times a year in the deep winter. How does the shoftshell fair up for say hour of rain?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Try Mavic. Reasonably understated and they do great softshells.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    I would go with neither better off with a few layers.

I generally go with merino base layer then depending on the weather either Castelli Gabba with nanoflex armwarmers (if it is drizzly) or a long sleeve jersey (if not) then layer up with a gilet or a proper waterproof like the Rapha Rain Cape. Gives you more flexibility.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The best winter top I have is the old Assos 851 - great wind cheating on chest and arms with a wicking type material on the back. Can be worn with a base layer and carry a rain jacket if there is a chance of rain - it's ok for light showers, but not good if there is alot of water chucked up by the back wheel on wet roads (assuming no mud guards).

I have rapha hard and soft shell jackets. Haven't tried out the hard shell in winter as bought in this summer's sale - a pal has one and whilst they are water proof, you can do a boil in the bag thing with them as there is no breathability like you may get with goretex. So I have mine for when there is a ride I feel compelled to do and there is a very high probability of getting a soaking. I certainly wouldn't consider paying full whack for one, given the limited number of times I'm likely to use it - the 851 will get worn 90% of winter rides. A bit odd but I like the rapha softshell more for dandering about town in rather than riding a bike - prefer the Assos for that (and would never wear it for any other purpose!).

Peter
  • Another one for 851... it goes down to zero with only one merino base layer underneath and 4 winters later it still looks new.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Had my soft shell for 5 years by no means a rich person but it's worth the money I paid for it as it sees a lot of use. Plus having the crash repair service is nice to have.

Both jackets are similar with the hard shell being totally waterproof but have to say I've been out in downpours in my softshell and been dry and warm in only a base layer underneath. Softshell has a few more features with it, but the hard shell is slight more

As others have said a lot of top end jackets are good as they are well made, last a long time and have good features included.

You could always layer up and wear a rain cape which will keep you from the rain, but I tend to find in a rain jacket only I tend to generate too much heat inside and struggle with not wicking the sweat away which with the softshell is never a problem. So if I know the weather is poor or just deeper winter weather I'll go with the softshell as it's on all day, for cold but not bad it's layers and rain cape in the pocket.

But that's only me and what I like to wear.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Thanks guys,

I think I am going to go the way of a LS Winter Jersey, Castelli Squadra rain cape (as on sale) and layer up with base layers. If its gets too cold in winter then look in to purchasing gilet or jacket if needed.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    RyanDownie wrote:
    Thanks guys,

I think I am going to go the way of a LS Winter Jersey, Castelli Squadra rain cape (as on sale) and layer up with base layers. If its gets too cold in winter then look in to purchasing gilet or jacket if needed.

I'd recommend you get a gilet instead of the rain cape - they're a really versatile bit of kit. Good for early spring or autumn mornings to keep the chill of your chest, great for screaming down european mountain passes if the weather is a bit ropey. And great for the winter. The main thing with rain is to keep warm - eventually you will get wet anyway with a rain cape, but if you layer up with a good base layer, a good winter jersey (roubaix material or similar) and a good quality wind resistant gilet, then you should be plenty warm enough if you're riding hard and not sweat too much.
  • Ok I am going to get the Rapha Winter Jersey, Gilet and Raincape for now. The rain cape for the Castelli is on sale at £30.00 so will be good just to have incase I get caught in a bad downpour.

Thanks everyone for the help on this.
  • +more for 851

As Ugo mentions, just a thin merino base layer is enough to keep you warm down to 0 deg. Much less, then you shouldn't really be in the road anyway :wink: .

It is also extremely water repellant.

Temperature is easily controlled by unzipping the zip slightly- it's amazing how much adjustability this gives you.
    Along with my 851 gilet, it's coming on for ten years old and it's nowhere near done...

851 gilet goes with me everywhere.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    I've got the rapha softshell, had it for nearly 10 yrs and not a bad thing to say about it. It's looking a bit shabby now and thinking of replacing.

I like the way it works on the bike and doesn't look too bad around town.

I'm interested the the Assos 851 and also a decent gillet

Would someone mind posting a link to the Assos as I'm struggling to find it, seem to get lots of different options..

Oh by the way I love the way people try and make excuses for buying expensive kit and try and justify it i.e. sale etc etc.

F*** what other people think, you don't have to justify anything to anyone (well apart from the wife!!) really pi**** me off this type of thing. Sorry feel better for that :mrgreen:
  • northpole
    If you have decided to get the rapha winter jersey then fair do's however, I have to point out that I have one of these and it is the least worn item of cycling clothing I wear. If you feel the need to go rapha, you'd be much better off with the pro jacket. I just could never get the right temperature with the winter jersey when trying to deal with layers, hence not used.

Peter
  • Hey Peter,

Thanks for the advice. It was a toss up between the LS Brevet Jersey and Vest or the Winter Jersey.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    The Brevet looks nice and you will also get a gillet at the same time, wouldn't that make more sense and keep the rain jacket in the back pocket if there is a chance of heavy rain?

At least you would have a few more options and sounds like the Brevet would allow you to more use, not just in the very cold.
  • I would go for a long sleeve jersey and the Rapha Race cape. It worked really well for me last winter.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    For warmth and versatility I would look at the castelli espresso due. The Rapha winter jersey which is really a jacket is odd in that the arms are not windproof, the rapha pro team jacket is a better buy than the winter jersey.
  • Don't dismiss the Gabba .... Cracking bit of kit that's available ss,ls or as a gilet.
    Best purchase I've made.
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Philly8mt wrote:
    Don't dismiss the Gabba .... Cracking bit of kit that's available ss,ls or as a gilet.
    Best purchase I've made.
    ^He's right you know :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • northpole
    The Gabba is a highly regarded piece of kit - particularly in short sleeved guise combined with the (similar material) nano flex arm warmers which can easily be carried in a back pocket if you get too warm. Fab price at the moment from Evans.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Rapha Pro Team jacket if you can still get them, best bit of kit Rapha do!
  • I've got a 8 year old Assos 851 jacket and a more recent Rapha soft shell. I love both, but for me they have different uses. The Rapha is my go-to for commuting and general riding ( I use my bike for most trips - going to shops, etc). It is incredibly comfortable and retains warmth on cold days whilst not overheating on longer ones. You also feel like you haven't been spray painted in black when you walk around in it off the bike. The Assos is a v different beast which I use on faster club rides, etc.

Another way to go is to buy a decent merino base and long sleeve jersey (or SS jersey and arm warmers) and pair it with rain jacket/gilet. That combo would probably get you through most of the 4 seasons.
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Flasher wrote:
    Rapha Pro Team jacket if you can still get them, best bit of kit Rapha do!

Yep, it's well worth it. I've one of these and a hardshell, hardshell only comes out in the depths of winter. Pro team is extreamly versatile.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Try Mavic. Reasonably understated and they do great softshells.

-1. Sssh if you tell people how good Mavic softshells are then you'll increase demand and I'll no longer be able to buy them with mahoosive discounts.

Marvellous softshells. Equipe and Echappee in particular.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Thanks for all the help guys. Going with Base Layer, LS Brevet with Gilet, Rain Cape and then play it by here in the deep winter.