double bar tape

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
When doubling upon bar tape is it OK to use a cheap tape , ? if so is the deda Ok or any suggestions.
regards
ILG

Comments

• Inexpensive tape is ok if it is durable enough to suit your needs.

Consider using cloth 'friction tape' from a hardware store for the under layers. Friction tape wouldn't be good as a top layer because it would unravel on the edges, but it's good for under layer because it is somewhat sticky on both sides and that helps keep the top layer in place.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Cheap tape may be better...expensive "padded" tape will leave an uneven finish which could be a pain to cover over.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I cannot think of any scenario why you would need to do this
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Lots of pro's do this on their training bikes,so it is better for comfort I guess.
  • I cannot think of any scenario why you would need to do this

I can think of a few. Possibly that makes me smarter than you :wink: :roll: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Seriously, though, loads of Paris Roubaix bikes have this done. It's not inconceivable that the OP is doing similar riding or has hand issues or whatever. It's a fair question.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... one-40737/
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • reason for the question is i have changed from ritchey to fra handlebars (new bike) seems to be smaller a circumference bar when riding I am possibly over tensing my grip.
    I have thin tape that came with the bike so I feel as though a another wrap might comfort things up a little.
    By the way , check out contadors tapping , looks like double tape to me.
    On another sport , I come from a cricket background where batsman can prefer from one to five depending on hand size and feel etc, surely this is the same on the bike ?
    Thanks for the input.
    regards
    ILG
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I cannot think of any scenario why you would need to do this

Well, some people DO have issues with hand pain. Or don't like to use gloves. Or like the feel of a bigger diameter bar. That's three scenarios just off the top of my head. :roll:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I use 3T ergosum bars and they're pretty narrow so I double wrap the tops, I use a cheap cork and then I over wrap with microtex.
  • Bozman wrote:
    I use 3T ergosum bars and they're pretty narrow so I double wrap the tops, I use a cheap cork and then I over wrap with microtex.
    Just the job.
    thanks Mr Bozman