Mavic crossmax sx rim change

hoolabloom
hoolabloom Posts: 164
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so I managed to trash a rim and through the joys of eBay and a bit of work find myself swapping the rim.

Now question is should I be oiling the spokes before or after I seat them in the rim. Or should I be popping on a bit of locative into the ust rim then lubing the nipples after I locate them?

Thanks dan

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You have the Zircal spokes yes? They really don't like being rebuilt, they've got aluminium threads on the nips which distort horribly. Good luck, Mavic won't re-use old spokes.
  • So far so good ish. Think I may need to replace maybe 2 zircal spokes. Cheaper than the 200 quid rebuild quote. Time will tell.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    hoolabloom wrote:
    So far so good ish. Think I may need to replace maybe 2 zircal spokes. Cheaper than the 200 quid rebuild quote. Time will tell.
    A rebuild shouldn't cost anywhere near that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A Mavic one does!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes of course, but that's because of the bits NEEDED which he should be replacing anyway.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • my SX rim was rebuilt using all the old spokes and nipples no problem, it's been like it for 18 months now and is still as true as the day it was rebuilt. It depends on if the nipples have seized in the rim or not as to if they need replacing (which they often do)