2015 Trek x-caliber 9

J_Hale
J_Hale Posts: 26
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone,

Has anyone for any advice/knowledge on the 2015 trek x-caliber 9? http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... caliber_9/

I'm not too savvy on what to look for in the specs etc, are there any glaringly weak points or likewise parts that really shine? Fork, drivetrain etc?

Will be mainly used for xc with the odd trip to some mountains in Wales and Cannock.

I currently have a trek elite 8.5. http://m.evanscycles.com/products/trek/ ... e-ec042075

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Much of a muchness, the 9 has a slightly better fork, but I wouldn't be changing the bike for that I'd be improving the one I had!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok, I've just not got on with my bike really, the geometry and feel of it just isn't right for me.

I was also looking at the superfly range but would be the bottom end. Would the bottom end of the superfly range be better specced than the top end of the xcaliber range? or is more about the frame?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Much of a muchness, the 9 has a slightly better fork, but I wouldn't be changing the bike for that I'd be improving the one I had!

Except for the wheels being completely different sizes you mean...?

The Superfly 5 is the same spec as the X-Caliber 9, but a nicer frame, albeit still aluminium. Not entirely sure I'd bother unless you were jumping up the range more.

What don't you like about the 8.5? Is it actually the right size? You're looking at another XC biased hardtail from the same brand, obviously the wheels are different, but the geometry will be similar - if you really don't like yours I'd look at another brand.
  • Yea the wheel size is important, I really like how a 29er rides.

The 8.5 is nice but in all honesty I think its the wrong size. I'm 6ft 2 and went for the xl frame, its great on the commute to work and long mainly road based rides but get it on anything else and its just to big to flick around I feel. Its abit of a compromise either way whether i go for a L or XL but I think I chose the wrong one.

Its a big jump in price but I was looking at the superfly 7 rather than the 5.

Also I've been offered a 2013 specialized carve pro for £900 second hand but unsure if its too dear for what it is?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Carve is definitely overpriced, £700 would be more like it.

The Superfly 7 is a far better bike, much nicer fork, better wheels and better groupset. Get that.