Recommendations? £450

tibble89
tibble89 Posts: 24
edited September 2014 in Commuting general
Only a short 4 miles ride to work but I'm willing to spend enough on something that will be enjoyable to ride. Have been looking for a few days and isn't that much that meets my needs. Even at this price point a lot seem to built using the lower end components. I did look at Boardman's but they get a lot of hate, although the SRAM X5 components are suppose to be better than the cheap shimano that I see on similar priced bikes.

Budget £450(hopefully less) - want disc brakes and don't really need front suspension.

I don't want anything with "tektro" brakes, not a brand I like..

Also I'd need to buy online from somewhere that has a fast delivery service, some have a week waiting before dispatching.

Thanks for any help! :)

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    For your budget you won't be getting much more than you've already seen component wise, if you're after an mtb then have a look at b twin or carrera bikes-or go down the 2nd hand route. Have you a bike shop nearby?
  • Boardman hybrid comp £499 I have and never looked back very reliable, get one when halfords have one of their discount weekends, as for buying from halfords grow a pair halford are like a barrow full of apple's every so often you get a rotten one but the bike itself is fantastic value for the money.
  • Thanks guys :) I looked at the "hybrid comp".. how does it cope with off road riding? Nothing too extreme.
  • Depends what you mean by off road I have used mine on canal towpaths without any problem and most of the roads here in Devon are like off road anyway.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    budget for rack, mudguards, lights, lock, luggage and possibly a tyre upgrade.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The budget Boardmen are well made - but saying that, Shimano kit at this level is quite a bit better.

But what exactly are you after? A bit of off roading too? How serious?
  • Off-road wise, nothing too serious.. just gravel paths really
  • supersonic
    It's medicore specced- and surprisingly heavy. You may be better off buying a 400 quid mountain bike and fitting a rigid fork to it.
  • What would you suggest as a mountain bike for £400? As for weight, what should I be aiming for?
  • Best off getting something used for that money. From what you've said, probably a hybrid (or perhaps MTB with suspension that locks).

Provided the basics are OK and it has a good frame you can upgrade as and when budget allows/you want to.

If you buy new you pay the premium for that (like with a car), you almost certainly get rubbish tyres that puncture every 5 minutes and the basic standard for components (probably better for the ones you see best, and cheaper for the ones that aren't so visible).

My 2 cents is have a look on the for sale forums here, on CTC and elsewhere, ask around at work, friends, etc. Surprising how many bikes get bought and hardly ridden then sold off at a fraction of the new price. If you want to buy from a dealer look for ex-demo stock, prior year models, etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Voodoo Marasa at Halford's, would seem to tick most your boxes. Can be made faster on road with something like a 700cx32 or 28mm tyre, the stock tyres cope fine with gravel paths.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wasn't too keen on second hand. Money isn't the issue, I could afford "top end" but it's about whether I would use it enough besides commuting to justify the costs considering I'm going to need to spend another £150-200 on accessories and clothing etc.

The "Strada 6" I posted was reviewed by road.cc (no idea how reliable they are) but they weighed it at 11.9kg.

"Voodoo Marasa" is quite heavy and those "tektro" brakes aren't to me liking, sadly.
  • supersonic
    If it is 11.9kg, then that's getting better - the advert quotes 13kg,so is pretty innacurate.

This may be worth a look:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bik ... 380/s19482

Very light frame and forks on these (though unsure of overall weight) and solid Shimano kit.
  • "Cannondale Quick CX 4 Hybrid Bike 2014" uses "shimano altus" isn't that quite low-end?

Are "Cube" a good brand?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-hyde-mens-city-bike-2014/rp-prod114125
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-curve-pro-mens-city-bike-2014/rp-prod114118

Shame the second one has suspension, with SLX and Deore it looks a good price.

So much choice..

In terms of weight, how much difference would I notice between 11kg & 13kg in terms of the speed and how much extra energy it takes?
  • supersonic
    Altus is superb stuff, works really well. I use it on my Zaskar LE, the shifters are on a par with old XT.

I notice the difference in weight on my bikes, especially when climbing. hard to say what the speed difference is really.

Cube make good bikes. You can always change out the fork for a rigid one
  • Thanks for your help :)

I'm from similar area to you, where would you recommend I go try bikes? There's a few "Evans Cycles" in Yorkshire, do you have any experience with these?
  • supersonic
    Never been to an Evans! But I know the one in Sheffield has a very very good mechanic so he'll know his stuff.

I'd avoid JE James, some nasty staff there who look down on you. Halfords good too, I'd check the Baordman out as a matter of course. Also try Langsett cycles.
  • Alright, thanks! Considering extending my budget.. what am I going to need to spend to get something which would be all Shimano Deore minimum? I just need to convince myself the extra money will be worth it.

Even in the higher price ranges it seems a lot of manufacturers still use lower end parts in certain areas..I really want Shimano hydraulic brakes, but Tektro seems popular although I never had a good opinion of those.

I've been looking through Road & Mountain bikes just to compare spec and they both seem to offer better value for money, I guess because they're much more popular? Don't think I could ride with drop bars, though.
  • supersonic
    Often a Mountain Bike with some modifications is the best option - very versatile choice.

If you added 200 or so to the budget, you could get this:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p468 ... D-PRO-2013

This wouldn't look out of place on the XC race start line, has some very good kit, especially the fork which is as good as it gets this side of 2k, never mind 1k!
  • Very nice but sadly only 22" in stock, I'm about 6ft so could be slightly too big for me.

This just caught my eye: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/orbea-carpe ... sting=true

Never heard of the brand but has "Formula RX Disc" which looks quite good according to this: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... kes-24345/

I must decide this week.. weather is getting colder and waiting 40 minutes for a bus when I finish work is a little tedious.
  • supersonic
    That is excellent for the money. Quite 'racy' - but great spec.
  • Only negative about it would be I think it only has 9 gears. Although I don't remember last time I used my front derailleur, It would still be nice to have one..
  • The Rookie
    Only 9 gears is fine, it's all I have on both my commuter and MTB, it's only 3 less than with a second front ring (due to the large overlap of ratios) anyway. In fact it has a wider spread of gears than my commuter which is running an 11-26 casette.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What lock should I buy? Obviously "gold rated" and something I could attach to the bike would be an advantage
  • The Rookie
    Depends how you will use the lock.

I leave a big heavy motorbike chain at work, this goes through the frame and then a 12mm cable goes through the wheels. But I couldn't carry that!

Gold secure is just for insurance purposes (if they require it) otherwise get 2 D-locks (one good, one can be cheaper) so you can stop them twisting the frame against just one and a cable for the wheels.
  • A lock that's any real use is too heavy to ride with.

As above, I have a big D-Lock I leave at work (plus there is security controlled underground parking).

For one of the kids who has to park in various places I got one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hiplok/lite-chain-lock-ec040367

Won't stop a pro thief, but hopefully put him off and perhaps find another target, and is a bit easier to carry round than others.
  • A lot of pinnacle bikes on Evans seem to have a different spec compared to the Pinnacle website.. very odd
  • The Rookie
    Especially as Pinnacle is their own brand!