ToB stage 7 viewing from Chichester?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Apologies if this isn't in the right forum.

I'm working in Chichester at the moment and it occurred to me that I could maybe cycle somewhere to see a bit of stage 7 on Saturday without too much trouble. I'm not from down here and so I don't really have a clue about where's good to view from and how best to get there. Any advice from locals would be massively appreciated.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you head straight up the A286 you'll come across Midhurst - follow through to Easebourne and out east on the A272 towards Petworth - it's only rolling through there.
    Alternatively at the roundabout after the high street in Midhurst you can turn left and go up there (called Hospital Hill) follow that north to the top of the climb - they will be heading south down there, so anywhere beyond the top would be ok, but not as open so don't take the car up there - you'll need to ride it.
    They'll be through Midhurst around 1115-1130 and it's ±12 miles to Midhurst (depends where in Chichester you are!) - It's a lumpy ride through, so allow a good 45 minutes if your quick or a bit longer if you're a more relaxed rider - then you need to take into account the few more miles to where you're going to stop - no lay in for you on Sat am then!
  • Slowbike wrote:
    If you head straight up the A286 you'll come across Midhurst - follow through to Easebourne and out east on the A272 towards Petworth - it's only rolling through there.
    Alternatively at the roundabout after the high street in Midhurst you can turn left and go up there (called Hospital Hill) follow that north to the top of the climb - they will be heading south down there, so anywhere beyond the top would be ok, but not as open so don't take the car up there - you'll need to ride it.
    They'll be through Midhurst around 1115-1130 and it's ±12 miles to Midhurst (depends where in Chichester you are!) - It's a lumpy ride through, so allow a good 45 minutes if your quick or a bit longer if you're a more relaxed rider - then you need to take into account the few more miles to where you're going to stop - no lay in for you on Sat am then!

That's awesome! Thanks so much!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Slowbike wrote:
    - no lay in for you on Sat am then!
    So, if you want a lay in then just head East along the A27 to Ditchling Beacon which is a hilly route up onto the South Downs.
    Or, after Worthing stay on the coast road to Brighton and then follow the crowds up onto the Downs where the race is timed at a about 3 pm (!500).
    Distance from Chichester Cathedral to Ditchling Beacon 38 miles on the A27.
    Good Luck - Have a Nice Day
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    - no lay in for you on Sat am then!
    So, if you want a lay in then just head East along the A27 to Ditchling Beacon which is a hilly route up onto the South Downs.
    Or, after Worthing stay on the coast road to Brighton and then follow the crowds up onto the Downs where the race is timed at a about 3 pm (!500).
    Distance from Chichester Cathedral to Ditchling Beacon 38 miles on the A27.
    Good Luck - Have a Nice Day

Cheers. That would have been great, but unfortunately I had to work in the afternoon. I did head up to Midhurst, though and caught them on a sharp left-hander.

Thanks guys!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    We headed up that way too ... But a bit further along the A272. Nice day for a ride :)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Slowbike wrote:
    We headed up that way too ... But a bit further along the A272. Nice day for a ride :)
    Well done you Lucky Lads. :D
    Maybe of interest :roll:
    Many, Many years ago (before Club Life) I used to ride from London to Selsey (Family rented Chalet out there) and their coach would come past me somewhere on the Midhurst - Goodwood road. Then I would ride local circular rides around your area but I came to hate the Chichester Selsey road in a strong wind. (too often)
    Later years when I missed the Club Run on Summer Sunday mornings (working) I would do rides like London Portsmouth-Bury Hill (Arundel) - Horsham.
    Or Guildford-Midhust- Arundel and Brighton among other solo rides.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972