Hello,
I recently got in to road cycling with my btwin triban 3:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red ... 74036.html

I now want to upgrade it, my budget is £450
I am thinking of either a new frame:
http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3315

or a new groupset:
http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105 ... 72462.html

I am not sure what to get, so suggestions would be great thanks.

PS: if there is something I should get instead mention it down below.

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    If you upgraded the frame -you probably would want to upgrade the groupset for the new frame. Have you considered wheel/tyre upgrades on the BTWIN?
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    If you can stretch to it get the frame and the new 105 - be around £700 - otherwise spend the $450 on wheels now and upgrade frame and groupset at a later date.
  • Ok ill look into getting new wheels, any recommendations + tyres
    I'm also wondering if the 105 would actualy fit the btwin frame?
  • Just a few things to consider.

The BTWIN is 8 speed so if you are upgrading the wheels you will need to make sure they are 8 speed compatible. But then these wheels may not be future proof with most bikes now using 10 and 11 speed

The Btwin cost £300 new - are you really going to spend £450 on wheels or a groupset for a £300 bike ?? IMO it just isnt worth upgrading such a basic frame

Have you considered buying a second hand bike ? £450 could probably get you something with at least 10 speed Tiagra and will be a much better frame to upgrade further in the future.

You can then keep the Btwin as it is and use this for a winter hack. Or another option is to sell the Btwin and put all of the funds together

Just an example - a fried of mine just sold a 2012 Caad8 Sora for £280 and it was in excellent condition. Check out Ebay and the BR classifieds for an idea of what you can get for that sort of money
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Just a few things to consider.

The BTWIN is 8 speed so if you are upgrading the wheels you will need to make sure they are 8 speed compatible. But then these wheels may not be future proof with most bikes now using 10 and 11 speed

The Btwin cost £300 new - are you really going to spend £450 on wheels or a groupset for a £300 bike ?? IMO it just isnt worth upgrading such a basic frame

Have you considered buying a second hand bike ? £450 could probably get you something with at least 10 speed Tiagra and will be a much better frame to upgrade further in the future.

You can then keep the Btwin as it is and use this for a winter hack. Or another option is to sell the Btwin and put all of the funds together

Just an example - a fried of mine just sold a 2012 Caad8 Sora for £280 and it was in excellent condition. Check out Ebay and the BR classifieds for an idea of what you can get for that sort of money

I agree. I recently got back into cycling, and picked up a stunning condition Trek 1.7 from Gumtree, complete with full 105 10sp Groupset, which is very good. It may be 4yrs old, but hardly used, but a £1000 bike for £300 is a bargain in anyone's book.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Get a new bike with approx half on finance, Wiggle have some good deals on bikes and you can also use finance there even if there in the sale.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Wheels are the first obvious upgrade - but I wouldn't suggest spending £400 on a set for your btwin - nothing wrong with the bike though. £150 would get you a set of Fulcrum Racing 5's - I think they're 8 speed compatible although they do come with 11 speed hubs - you just need the right spacer which should come with the wheel.
    You could then replace the groupset with 105 - either 5700 or 5800 - I'm pretty sure your cranks and BB, front and rear mech will work with 10 speed - so you can replace the cassette, chain and levers first moving onto the other bits when you can. Or just do the whole lot at once.

However, you can get a good bargain on a s/h bike or discounted new bike and keep your btwin as a winter/wet weather bike (tbh, it's not going to be worth all that much and probably worth more to you as a spare) - bear in mind that the new discounted bikes will still come with stock wheels that could easily be bettered without spending a fortune, but it's still more money!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I think Tjgoodhew's advice is sound. I would not spend a penny on your current bike other than for maintenance - it would be money down the drain and I suspect before long that you'll be wanting to upgrade to a better bike/ groupset. Have a look at used prices in the classifieds here and on fleabay. With a bit of patience you can pick up fab bikes at bargain prices which have hardly been used. If you can get one then consider whether to sell your existing bike or retain for daily commuting, etc.

Peter
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I think Tjgoodhew's advice is sound. I would not spend a penny on your current bike other than for maintenance - it would be money down the drain and I suspect before long that you'll be wanting to upgrade to a better bike/ groupset. Have a look at used prices in the classifieds here and on fleabay. With a bit of patience you can pick up fab bikes at bargain prices which have hardly been used. If you can get one then consider whether to sell your existing bike or retain for daily commuting, etc.

Peter
  • Thanks everyone, going to hold on to my btwin for a while till i have funds available for a new bike around the 1000 pound mark