Hammerschmidt Install - help!

Mad-JK
Mad-JK Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. After a particularly bad day biking where I trashed a fair chunk of my rear drivechain I've decided while replacing the rear mech etc. I'd go for a full new drivechain setup. I've always liked the idea of the Hammerschmidt and lucky for me I've managed to get one for a really good price online. The one area I'm struggling with is finding a LBS with the right tool to face the ISCG tabs.......does anyone out there know of a shop that has one??

I've been in touch with Fisher Outdoor (UK SRAM suppliers) and they have no record of ever selling the facing tool to any LBS (not surprised seeing as it costs £220!)

Anyone out there got any leads? I'm based in Birmingham so there closer the better but I've got a feeling I'm going to end up travelling some distance to get this sorted! There must be a bike shop out there that has 200 quids worth of tool out there that hardly ever gets used and would be grateful to recoup some of their outlay....

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You will be lucky finding one.

Do an install as per the manual and see if it is actually needed.

I did not when I fitted one.

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12729237
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Well it's good to know someone has done it without any facing. I'm just worried about getting it very slightly out of true and ruining the bearings. I'll maybe give it a go over the weekend and see how close it is with no facing whatsoever...