Specialized Romin Expert saddle query?

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I recently bought Romin pro saddles with the carbon rails and the glue came away from the rails and a very loud creak and flexing of the saddle and have been advised to return and was wondering is this the same with all Romin saddles?

I was thinking of maybe changing to the Romin with the Titanium rails but was wondering is the same glue/rail system used?

I have seem on a few other forum that this is a regular problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Same thing happened to mine with carbon rails, it made a loud popping noise. I couldnt send it back because I bought it on this forum. I contacted Specialized and they said the epoxy probably hadn't taken properly. I poured Superglue into the joints and its been fine ever since.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I ran a Romin Pro for about a year without any problems at all other than I never felt fully comfortable with it. Now running a Romin Evo Expert which I find fits me much better. Probably also less rigid than the Pro version (also tried an S Works Toupe which was like sitting on a brick!).

Not sure if rider weight is a factor - I'm not the lightest at around 85kg.

I reckon if the saddle was a good fit for you, why not take it back and get a replacement and give it one more chance. If it goes again, different scenario.

Peter
  • davoj
    Same thing happened to mine with carbon rails, it made a loud popping noise. I couldnt send it back because I bought it on this forum. I contacted Specialized and they said the epoxy probably hadn't taken properly. I poured Superglue into the joints and its been fine ever since.

How did you go about putting on the superglue? Did you remove the reminder of the old stuff first and what glue did you use?

Sorry for all the questions.
  • There wasnt any old stuff. The carbon rails go into the shell at two points at the back. I put Superglue in those joints. Just Superglue in a little bottle.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/loctite-super ... tAodBmoALg
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I've had this exact issue with every Spesh saddle I've had, 3 in total. If you glue the rails as described it goes away I've used superglue and araldite 2 part epoxy. Both worked so sglue is simpl er.

PS I've now got same problem with an SQ Labs saddle so getting the glue out as we speak!
  • davoj
    I've had this exact issue with every Spesh saddle I've had, 3 in total. If you glue the rails as described it goes away I've used superglue and araldite 2 part epoxy. Both worked so sglue is simpl er.

PS I've now got same problem with an SQ Labs saddle so getting the glue out as we speak!

Yea I super glued it but it got lose after a day again so was wondering if you had any special technique?

Thanks for the reply.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    davoj wrote:
    Hi,

I recently bought Romin pro saddles with the carbon rails and the glue came away from the rails and a very loud creak and flexing of the saddle and have been advised to return and was wondering is this the same with all Romin saddles?

I was thinking of maybe changing to the Romin with the Titanium rails but was wondering is the same glue/rail system used?

I have seem on a few other forum that this is a regular problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I've got a Romin Evo Expert Gel which I've been using since the start of the year.
    No problems at all. As far as I can remember the rails go straight into the plastic chasis just like most saddles with metal rails. No visible glue or anything.