Whyte T-129s

Rich9
Rich9 Posts: 1,635
edited September 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Not been around the forum for a long time, and have been bombing around on my Boardman FS for the last 3 years, and got a bit bored with it. So its time for an upgrade :D I got a cracking deal from JE James in Rotherham on the 2014 model which are now quite hard to get hold of. (Winstanleys still have some). Was unsure about going 29", but first impressions are pretty good. It just rolls for fun, and feels very well screwed together. A far superior build quality to the Boardman
WP_20140905_13_33_54_Pro.jpg
2014 Whyte T-129S

Comments

• Ordered one of these from Winstanleys last week, under £1,500 delivered was too hard to resist. It was shipped out yesterday so I should have it soon! My first full susser and a step forward from my 2010 Rockhopper, can't wait!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Nice was looking at buying one next year but I dont like the look of the 2015 model, its lost the crisp clean lines and gone all hump back shaped.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • lappymatt wrote:
    rolls "for fun" :roll: cringggeeee

Doesn't loose much speed over rough terrain, therefore you can enter and exit corners much faster.......

Better?
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Rich9
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Ordered one of these from Winstanleys last week, under £1,500 delivered was too hard to resist. It was shipped out yesterday so I should have it soon! My first full susser and a step forward from my 2010 Rockhopper, can't wait!

I used winstanleys to get a price match at JE James 8) . Looked on winstanleys website again tuther day and the price has gone up to £1680.
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Rich9
    lappymatt wrote:
    rolls "for fun" :roll: cringggeeee

Doesn't loose much speed over rough terrain, therefore you can enter and exit corners much faster.......

Better?

That reads much better than my uneducated waffle, thanks caveman_chris.
    I'm such a pleb
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Rich9 wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Ordered one of these from Winstanleys last week, under £1,500 delivered was too hard to resist. It was shipped out yesterday so I should have it soon! My first full susser and a step forward from my 2010 Rockhopper, can't wait!

I used winstanleys to get a price match at JE James 8) . Looked on winstanleys website again tuther day and the price has gone up to £1680.

Yeh I noticed that too, the price increased by £200 earlier this week, thankfully I'd already paid for my bike and done the deal last week, can't go wrong for that at all, looking forward to getting out on the trails now!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Great deal you got for an amazing bike there Rich9. I bought a non S version for about £1300 a month ago and love it :D , I agree with your comments about how it rolls....however its worded! :wink:

Not commenting on the relative merits of wheel sizes but this is my first 29er and the T129's suit me perfectly and feel so much better than my 26'ers to me.

Have fun, its a great bike :D
  • Rich9
    Cheers MattHam. Only thing that I'm not over impressed with are the tyres. 2.2 WTB Bronson up front and a 2.1 Nano on the back. Will look to change to either mountain king 2's or Nobby Nics
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • I'll have to agree with you on the tyres, especially the nano. I had to run it so low for traction that it was too slow rolling, mega quick on hard pack with 45psi in though. Be careful of tyre sizing on the rear, the base of the chainstays are very narrow. A 2.3 highroller will rub, but a 2.2 ikon will not.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • I'll have to agree with you on the tyres, especially the nano. I had to run it so low for traction that it was too slow rolling, mega quick on hard pack with 45psi in though. Be careful of tyre sizing on the rear, the base of the chainstays are very narrow. A 2.3 highroller will rub, but a 2.2 ikon will not.

I was surprised at the tyre clearance on the rear for a bike designed by Brits for use in Britain, considering that 10 months or more of the year the trails are usually proper muddy! Good info that a 2.3 won't fit, most of the tyre choices I was look at next were 2.3's, so may have saved me a waste of money!

I will say that the Ikon and Ardent on mine are pretty good so far on the bone dry chalky trails in Befordshire I ride, as well as the forest single track I tend to look for, maybe the tyres on the lesser version are actually better!
    Rich9 wrote:
    Cheers MattHam. Only thing that I'm not over impressed with are the tyres. 2.2 WTB Bronson up front and a 2.1 Nano on the back. Will look to change to either mountain king 2's or Nobby Nics

Rich9, if you change to these, would be great to see your views.

I'm also having trouble getting the SRAM drivetrain to work properly, it often doesn't change gear when it should, or clunks to a different gear when under pressure. My 2008 Deore LX is still perfect so I'm a bit bemused. However, the general ride and geometry of the bike and the confidence and speed I can carry above anything else I myself have ridden is worth the few small-ish downsides :D

I'm enjoying mine, hope the rest of you are :lol:
  • [/quote]

I'm also having trouble getting the SRAM drivetrain to work properly, it often doesn't change gear when it should, or clunks to a different gear when under pressure. My 2008 Deore LX is still perfect so I'm a bit bemused. However, the general ride and geometry of the bike and the confidence and speed I can carry above anything else I myself have ridden is worth the few small-ish downsides :D

I'm enjoying mine, hope the rest of you are :lol:[/quote]

I had a similar issue with mine, make sure that the rear axle is properly secured. The 'cam' that fits into the notch to stop it spinning and coming undone was not seated correctly on mine causing it to loosen slightly and misalign the mech.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Rich9
    No drive train issues so far, but I havent had chance to do more than about 20 miles :(

thanks for the info on the tyre widths. I was looking at 2.2 on the back and 2.4 up front, but still not decided which ones yet. I had Nobby Nic Evos on my Boardman FS and found them pretty good, so might stay with them.

*EDIT* Ordered a pair of Bontrager XR3 2.2's from my LBS. Wouldnt have been on my radar at all, but they get good ratings, so will see how I get on with them.
    2014 Whyte T-129S