Tell me again...how to carry shirts

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited September 2014 in Commuting general
I'm sure this has been asked 10,000 times, but here we go...

How does one carry a nice ironed shirt on one's back without it ending up all wrinkled?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• I do a part fold/roll combo.

Never entirely stops the odd crease but the shirt usually sorts itself out after an hour of wearing.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I use packing cubes and put them inside my messenger bag.
  • I have bought some non-iron shirts - as sold by Twyrhitts, Pinks etc - which, providing they are loosely rolled will shake off many packing wrinkles soon after wearing. They're not quite as neat as a properly ironed, quality cotton shirt but quite acceptable for office and, if worn underneath a jacket, with a tie, then barely seen anyway.
  • I usually fold them in a square "shop fold" with sleeves in and the collar and top 3 buttons to the front. I carry them in a courier bag and top tip is to include a couple of sheets of "Bounce" tumble dryer stuff. The heat from your back activates the sheets and keeps the shirts from creasing and they smell good when you take them out of your bag.
    Would get down on the drops more if the gut wasn't in the way!
  • dodgy
    drawblood wrote:
    I usually fold them in a square "shop fold" with sleeves in and the collar and top 3 buttons to the front. I carry them in a courier bag and top tip is to include a couple of sheets of "Bounce" tumble dryer stuff. The heat from your back activates the sheets and keeps the shirts from creasing and they smell good when you take them out of your bag.

Top tip on the bounce sheets, must try that too!
  • secretsam
    drawblood wrote:
    I usually fold them in a square "shop fold" with sleeves in and the collar and top 3 buttons to the front. I carry them in a courier bag and top tip is to include a couple of sheets of "Bounce" tumble dryer stuff. The heat from your back activates the sheets and keeps the shirts from creasing and they smell good when you take them out of your bag.

Thanks - love the Bounce tip

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i find if you hang them up whilst showering when you get to work (if you have shower facilities that is) the steam can get some of the creases out and the rest tend to go after a little while of wearing.

These days though I take clothes to work in at the weekend in the car, works much better!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dodgy
    Chris Bass wrote:
    i find if you hang them up whilst showering when you get to work (if you have shower facilities that is) the steam can get some of the creases out and the rest tend to go after a little while of wearing.

That's what I do, I posted similar on another forum a few days ago.
    I neatly fold my shirts (usually 2) and a pair of trousers and put them into packing cubes like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Packers-Tidy-Lu ... B000W8GMBQ Putting them in these 'cubes' keeps them protected, then I put cube into my messenger bag. Once arriving at work, the first thing I do is hang up the shirts on hangers and hang them near the shower and turn it on HOT while I get out of my cycling kit. Once I'm ready for the shower, the shirts are almost completely crease free (apart from the ones you actually want there!), while I'm showering I hang the shirts as near as possible without them getting wet, usually on the other side of the shower curtain.

This is how I also manage my packing when I travel abroad with work, always hang up in the shower on hot for a few minutes
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    whats a nicely ironed shirt?
  • I fold mine by this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLmyoK7kmOA
    I do this around a magazine and leave it in to hold the shape then place in a suitably sized plastic bag (Next is the current choice). This goes into a rucksack and is a still in a good state after 20 miles on my back.
  • secretsam
    Mikey23 wrote:
    whats a nicely ironed shirt?

One that's not been ironed by me

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Screw them up in a carrier bag, doesn't matter what I do they end up looking like that, so I save the time and do just that.

Actually I shop fold, do it when freshly ironed and warm and they are less prone to creasing it seems.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.