How are climbs categorised?

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
This hill is a cat 4 but that mountain is a cat 1 'they' say, but how do 'they' categorise the climbs?

I've heard that it was originally based on the highest gear a Citroen 2CV could get up it in.
Cat 4 = 4th gear
Cat 3 = 3rd gear
Cat 2 =2nd gear
Cat 1 = 1st gear
Hors catégorie = Outside category = a 2CV can't get up it at all.

Is that a total crock-o-shit and if so, how do 'they' determine what category a climb is?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    This hill is a cat 4 but that mountain is a cat 1 'they' say, but how do 'they' categorise the climbs?

I've heard that it was originally based on the highest gear a Citroen 2CV could get up it in.
    Cat 4 = 4th gear
    Cat 3 = 3rd gear
    Cat 2 =2nd gear
    Cat 1 = 1st gear

Is that a total crock-o-shit and if so, how do 'they' determine what category a climb is?

Rather depends who they are, The various races categorise hill different ways. It seems to be influenced more by length than gradient overall, short but very steep tends to have a lowly cat 4 while the longer but much less steep hills end up being Cat1/2

Stage 3 TOB finish the (Tumble) give a CAT1 while long, and in places steep is doable by most reasonably fit folks, while the numerous steep lanes though very short, are close on 20% average and thus inspite of there lowly cat4 status are much more likely to make folk walk, and curse that hill.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Cat 4 = 4th gear
    Cat 3 = 3rd gear
    Cat 2 =2nd gear
    Cat 1 = 1st gear

EKE - this is how they originally categorised climbs - so yes you are right.

Obviously they differ now per the race as Roger said.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Cat 4 = 4th gear
    Cat 3 = 3rd gear
    Cat 2 =2nd gear
    Cat 1 = 1st gear

Was that with or without breaking a single egg in a basket of eggs on the passenger seat?*

how the 2CV suspension was specified to get over a ploughed field
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Cat 1 - Little
    Cat 2 - Blowing out my arse
    Cat 3 - I'm going to get off and push
    Cat 4 - I'm getting in the car

At least they are my categories. Although as I get older, and my bikes get heavier, there are a lot more category 2 and 3 climbs where I live now.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Cat 1 - Little
    Cat 2 - Blowing out my ars*
    Cat 3 - I'm going to get off and push
    Cat 4 - I'm getting in the car

At least they are my categories. Although as I get older, and my bikes get heavier, there are a lot more category 2 and 3 climbs where I live now.

Wrong way round no?

To put things in context how would you categorise epic climbs like Balham hill or Col du Chutney Mary?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd love it if the UCI required local administrators to keep a sh1t 1950s old banger in the head office garage to categorise climbs.

Tour de France: 2CV
    Tour of Poland: Trabant
    Tour of Britain: ?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DesWeller wrote:
    I'd love it if the UCI required local administrators to keep a sh1t 1950s old banger in the head office garage to categorise climbs.

E-Type Jag.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    850cc Mini would be more appropriate.

The Trabant was East German, the Poles had FSO (aka Polski Fiat)

The Italians could have the original Cinqecento (500) and the Spanish the SEAT 133 (their version of the Fiat 126)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Info here on how climbs are categorised by Strava and MMR, a combination of length, gradient and height gained. It seems there's no definitive way. http://sportivecyclist.com/strava-mapmyride-cycling-climb-categories/
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Info here on how climbs are categorised by Strava and MMR, a combination of length, gradient and height gained. It seems there's no definitive way. http://sportivecyclist.com/strava-mapmyride-cycling-climb-categories/
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

E-Type Jag.

Reliant Robin.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.