Replacement wheels for a Boardman Hybrid?

dhooper7
dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello

I bought a Boardman Hybrid Comp last October for London commuting (C2W).
I do 85 miles per week.

I love the bike but the wheels suck. Forever truing them.
Yesterday I wrote off the front wheel. Need something stronger for the winter.

Was thinking of going for the Mavic Aksium One Disc wheelset.
Is this compatible with my axle width and cassette (SRAM PG950)?
Running Schwalbe Durano Plus 28c tyres.

Really need to get these ordered if they are correct as my commute has gone from 35m to 1h15m!!!

If you ever need any help with an MTB question I'll happily repay the favour.

Thanks
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp

Comments

• When I commuted I always considered two things. Firstly how much I was saving; and second, how important reliability was. The last thing I wanted was a collapsed wheel when going home along the Old Kent Road in the pouring rain in December.

So, my advice would be to get some hand built wheels with top quality spokes and quality hubs and rims. They shouldn't cost the earth. Get in touch with Ugo or one of the other wheel builders on here.
  • It's still unclear whether the Aksium disc have a 135 mm rear dropout distance or a road 130 one. They are not available yet. A clue might be to look at the Genesis bikes that fit them and see if those framesets are 135 mm.

they are a pretty heavy set of boots for a 24 spoker... but then again, the price is pretty damn good
    left the forum March 2023
  • The wheel have 135mm rear spacing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you are having so many problems with the wheels that came on the bike then I wouldnt suggest anything with less spokes. The wheels on the Boardman Hybrid are heavy but tough. I would suggest you look at 29" mountain bike wheels - same size and fit as the road discs but more likley to be up to harder abuse.
  • So can I assume that my bike has a 135mm dropout since it has discs?
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp