Ladies' road bike recommendations

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
My girlfriend has, quite unbelievably, actually started taking an interest in bikes. I even caught her reading an article in Cyclist magazine the other day. She now tells me she is keen to give road cycling a go, so I'm on a mission to find a decent ladies' bike on a sensible budget (£1k max).

Any suggestions? I've seen female-specific bikes offered by a few of the big brands (Specialized etc) but can't help thinking something like the ladies' Rose would be best value.

She's 5'2 so certainly something pretty small (ideally, 48 frame).

Comments

• 1k is a healthy budget that's for sure..... Or a costly mistake if she feels cycling isn't for her in a months time. First off get a definite inseam measurement sorted, then you can say exactly what size frame she needs. Also don't take a bike shops word as gospel regarding sizing either, do your own research because online prices are far more competitive..... But you knew that already :)
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Same thing last year. Bought Mrs Calpol a Cannondale Synapse. Quite a nice bike for about £600. this year she's been on it twice. My advice is therefore not to spend £1000 unless you are minted and that is an immaterial amount. Half of that and allow £150 for accessories will be more than sufficient. If she starts riding at above 19mph on a 40 mile route then she has shown some aptitude and might warrant a better one. FWIW my Mrs is on a mens 48 Synapse but she is a bit taller at 5'5".
  • Jules Winnfield
    Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
    edited September 2014
    My other half bought a Pendleton from Halfords about 3 weeks ago and she loves it, its just a shame we can't get her comfortable on it. Maybe a proper bike fit will help :)
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • My mrs (also 5ft 2) ended up with a Bianchi C2C via Nirone (sp?) in their smallest size (44).
    Only change was a decent ladies saddle.

Whilst it's a "mens" bike, the fit out of the box was very close, with the only change being to headset spacers.

Would also recommend Epic cycles, nice bunch.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • I built mine a Condor Italia RL with Campag Veloce and handbuilt wheels. Its black and she likes the curved top tube. Shes 5, 5" and its a 49. She hates the look of Spech and Bianchi ladies bikes. Probably under £1000 all in.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Calpol wrote:
    Same thing last year. Bought Mrs Calpol a Cannondale Synapse. Quite a nice bike for about £600. this year she's been on it twice. My advice is therefore not to spend £1000 unless you are minted and that is an immaterial amount. Half of that and allow £150 for accessories will be more than sufficient. If she starts riding at above 19mph on a 40 mile route then she has shown some aptitude and might warrant a better one. FWIW my Mrs is on a mens 48 Synapse but she is a bit taller at 5'5".

My wife bought a womens Synapse and finds it rides really well. The only upgrade was £50 to swap the brakes for r650's as the brakes it comes with are very poor. My wife is 5ft3 and found the 48cm women's synapse a bit too small so went for the 51cm.

Main thing is to get a bike that fits , she likes the look of and is happy riding it.