New in from Hampshire

ryanperrywilkins
ryanperrywilkins Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
Hey!
So I'm Ryan and I'm from Basingstoke
I started cycling (after a long absence since childhood) about 4 months ago. It was mainly to get fit and lose weight, both of which is has helped significantly for me to achieve.
I have recently purchased the Specialized Tarmac 2015 which is delivered on Saturday.
I do have a quick question in regards to Apps/Garmin/Heart rate monitors;
I've been using Strava standard to map my rides on my fixie, now i'm going to be riding longer, faster and harder, is it really worth upgrading. I read the details on Strava but it seemed as though the only real difference was that you can make your own segments.
Also, is a heart rate monitor a good idea, i mean, to make sure i'm not pushing myself too hard? or should I just rely on my bodies own intuition?
Lastly, is the a good fixture to attach my phone to my bike (I have a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact) in order to be able to see my Strava whilst I ride.

Ryan

Comments

• Hey Ryan. I'll reply to your post.
    In no particular order - I've enjoyed having a Garmin after I upgraded from iPhone Strava app. Irrespective of strava, it will give you more information as you ride. I don't know how much you would get from having the strava app on your phone on your bars - not a lot I don't think. If you get the new 1000 model you can track Starav segments as you ride. The 800 is fine for me. It gives me all the ride info, good battery life (unlike phone I hear) and you can plan routes in unfamiliar places and get sat nag type directions (as I did yesterday all around Hampshire coincidentally - you live in a very nice part of the world!). The heart rate monitor is ok, I don't use if very often - probably more use if you get serious about training etc.
  • If you mean upgrading to strava premium i would say its probably not worth it. The segment and route creator is available to standard members so you can access these anyway. Strava Premium gives you more data in regards to power, training zones and efforts so unless you are intending on doing some serious training you really wont need the extra features.

Again with the heart rate monitor it really depends what you want to achieve. I personally use mine on long rides to make sure i dont go too hard too fast but i am now getting to a point where i can listen to my body. It can aslo be used to train in certain zones but i wouldnt think you would need this sort of thing right now.

In regards to the phone its an option however i would personally look at a bike specific computer like a garmin. Phones are good to an extent but battery life is a problem over longer distances and the last thing you want is a dead battery if you have a problem away from home
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Strava premium - unless you become a real enthusiast on times and KOMs I wouldn't bother.

HRM - nice to have but mostly an extravagent toy.

Phone - why do you need to see Strava as you cycle. Watch the roads, much safer!!
  • Ello from a fellow Basingstoke (Chineham) cyclist. I use a Quadlock case for my phone which has an adaptor to attach to the bars. I've done 3k miles with it and no issues.