Is this a shimano freewheel........?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,593
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
My Fulcrum 5's just arrived from Wiggle, but after a very brief effort to get a cassette on, it doesn't seem to fit, ie go down the shaft at all.

It struck me they might have sent me a Campagnolo freewheel instead.

What say you?
15175850286_bb7dda3ac6_z.jpg
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Not all of the splines are the same size, so the cassette can only go on in one position. Perhaps you have it lined up incorrectly?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daniel_b
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Not all of the splines are the same size, so the cassette can only go on in one position. Perhaps you have it lined up incorrectly?

I only had 2 minutes to give it a go at lunch, and it may be that as you say, but it also looked radically different when I compared it to the freewheel on my Mavic Ksyrium's.

I've popped many a cassette on in my time, but only ever Shimano.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    thats not a standard shimano freewheel, its possible that campag now use a freehub body that takes both cassettes
  • daniel_b
    spasypaddy wrote:
    thats not a standard shimano freewheel, its possible that campag now use a freehub body that takes both cassettes

Well at the time of ordering there were 2 options, one for Shimano, and one for Campagnolo - at this moment in time it is only showing Campagnolo, so guess Shimano stock has run out.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Doesn't look like any Shimano one that I've seen. Although I've not seen 11 speed yet, I doubt it's that different.
  • Looks Shimano to me, Campag ones have much deeper splines:

0203_shimano_campy_10spd.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It is shimano the have just cut away the trailing edge of the splines for the bigger cogs, as they tend to be on a spider or joined, they don't need as much support and it makes it lighter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Given it appears to have "11 speed" neatly stamped on the body, I'm assuming there *is* a difference between Shimano 10 and 11 speed.

Campag 10 and 11 speed are the same freehub though, no difference in the splines at all.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Given it appears to have "11 speed" neatly stamped on the body.

I'd say laser etched rather than stamped. Either way, quite neatly done.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Definitely Shimano, you can see the narrower spline at the top, as Nick as pointed out they have cut away the trailing edge to reduce weight (steel freehub, probably wouldn't on an ally one).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks gents,

:oops:

That's good news, I will have another proper go at the weekend.

Even though it says 11 speed, I am assuming it should still happily take a 9 or 10 speed cassette?
    Potentially with spacers into the equation.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    11 speed is no different, spline-wise, to any other Shimano freehub. I've got 11 speed hubs, and yes, you need a small spacer to get a 9 or 10 speed cassette to fit. The spacer normally comes with the wheels.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon