Going 1x9 - Chaing guide or Narrow/Wide chainring?

big_southern_jesse
big_southern_jesse Posts: 729
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Or both perhaps?

Bit out of touch as have been happily bumbling around on a singlespeed rigid bike for a few years now, so there hasn't been lot of tech involved.

I'm just signing up for a little series of duathlons over the winter, and figure I could do with a bit of gearing. I have a 9 speed 11-34 cassette to drop on the back, and derailleur etc.

I'm hoping for some help on whether to go with a narrow/wide chainring at the front, or a chain guide on the current ring, to stop losing the chain. I was heading for a chainguide when I figured a plastic version of a derailleur would cost me £15 or so. HAving looked around, it seems they start at about 3 times that and go up to into three figures. So the chain ring is looking like a better way to spend the money.

Any thoughts or experience of either system?

Thanks,

Jess.
Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
The world's ultimate marmite bike

Comments

• I've been riding a 1x10 with a NW chainring and clutch mech for over six months and have never lost a chain.

I've read elsewhere that people have got on quite well without the clutch mech, so you should be fine with just the chain ring if you already have a 9 speed mech.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Thanks 97th...

Well, just received a N/W chainring in the post. Hopefully fit it and have a play over the weekend. I'll be running it initially with a clutchless mech. So how it goes, and be back if I have troubles!
  • I have run my 1x10 with and without the clutch (on a NW ring) engaged and not noticed an issue either way. If anything gear shifts are less slick with the clutch so better with it off.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I've tried my 1*10 with the clutch off, it's noisy as hell, but the chain doesn't come off... Sometimes I turn it off for long climbs.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Lewis A wrote:
    I've tried my 1*10 with the clutch off, it's noisy as hell, but the chain doesn't come off... Sometimes I turn it off for long climbs.

Any reason why it's noisy? Why would it be noisier than a normal 3x9?
  • Just gone from XT triple to 1x10, using a Super Star I/O NW chain ring, with a standard mech. Visited Gisburn (red/black) last week, and no dropped chain! So IMO, no need for a guide or clutch much, it surprised me, but seems to work.