Morning, HElp I have a headache......

kerbbumper
kerbbumper Posts: 62
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Morning Guys,

It's my birthday soon and I have to make a huge decision, do I continue upgrading the Kraken or do I buy a new bike and start again. http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -12-46886/. - we link to the specs for the Kraken.

Currently I have a 2012 Carrera Kraken, pretty much stock but running 1x9 with raceface n/w ring and bash guard, new v12 pedals an odi grips.
DSC_1707.jpg

Now the question is do I continue, add some Epicons or better forks, upgrade the drive train to 10 speed , All Slx, shadow plus rear, upgrade the brakes to slx. Upgrade the wheel set. New race face handlebars and stem...

OR........

Buy one of these three... Then change to single front ring.. I have a budget of £1000. The reason I have selected these are the size I need bikes that are 16" frames. So rules out the bizango and a few others. I also looked at the whyte 901 but don't like how it looks and the board,an range but bit worries about the bottom bracket on them.

¥. On-One Parkwood Shimano Deore Mountain Bike -- http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWDEO/o ... ntain-bike

¥. Bird Zero.3 -- http://shop.birdmtb.com/review/product/ ... ategory/3/

¥. Canyon Grand Canyon al 29 6.9. -- https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ml?b=10123

Any help and discussion would be very much appreciated, to give you an idea of the riding I do, 60% of the time is canal paths! single track all in wet muddy Scotland. I do also visit Golspie trails, Glenlivit and Cathkin braes. http://www.highlandwildcat.com link to Golspie, going there in two weeks.

Hopefully there is enough information there..

I can arrange to post pics of the new options and there specs list if that is easier..

Comments

• Just carry on with what you've got and upgrade when parts wear out.
  • Just carry on with what you've got and upgrade when parts wear out.

Chunkers that's far to sensible an idea, I have money for a bike, it's burning a whole in my pocket.. Well it's actually the Mrs wanting to get me a present. I have two days to decide to upgrade what I have or brand new and then start the process again lol
  • Hookers and blow then.
  • Hookers and blow then.

What's the drive train like on those? 650b?

There is money put away for that already! But yeah much less sensible.
  • If it really is burning a hole. Wheels, forks and brakes would be where I'd spend it. You can always reframe at a later date.

None of those bike will offer you much more than what you've got - especially if you put a chunk into the above bits.
  • If it really is burning a hole. Wheels, forks and brakes would be where I'd spend it. You can always reframe at a later date.

None of those bike will offer you much more than what you've got - especially if you put a chunk into the above bits.

I got the raceface stuff for free, and paid £40 for the pedals and like 15 for grips! So no real investment yet, need a new chain and rear cassette and the brakes are almost gone.
  • How are the brakes 'almost gone'?

Going to 10 speed means you need a new mech and shifter too. Not really worth it unless you want to extend your range or just fit an 11-36t cassette.
  • How are the brakes 'almost gone'?

Going to 10 speed means you need a new mech and shifter too. Not really worth it unless you want to extend your range or just fit an 11-36t cassette.

The left front leaver is cracked ready to brake off, front rotor was bent twice, rear hose leaks a little at the calliper, they over heat a lot on bigger descents. The get spongy a lot and I need to give them a wee burp. Time for some new Slx M675!

Going ten I know I need casette, rear mech, chain, shifter. Have them priced and sourced . Can go Slx M670-5 for £100 all in.

So you think none of the bikes would provide a big enough improvement to spend a grand on?

Incidentally what bike do you ride??
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like what you want to hear is buy a new bike. So pick one.
    The On One is a great deal if you want a 29er.
    The Bird guys are friends, so I would be a bit biased, but they are nice bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kerbbumper wrote:

Incidentally what bike do you ride??

Mostly you'll find me on my HT. XT/R group, Reba and some lightish XC wheels.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Sounds like what you want to hear is buy a new bike. So pick one.
    The On One is a great deal if you want a 29er.
    The Bird guys are friends, so I would be a bit biased, but they are nice bikes.

It is probably what I want to hear, but also that I would notice a big difference and that even if I spent 1000 on the kraken it wouldn't be a "better" bike lol.

The Bird and the one ones are good looking frames. Are there any reviews I can read for the bird bikes? Read the parkwood one in what mountain bike they were very impressed.
  • IMO with HT a good frame is a good frame. An excellent frame is not going to be that different to a good frame. A good frame with excellent parts will be better than excellent frame and good parts.