suitable seat post?

Ollie2805
Ollie2805 Posts: 17
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Can anyone tell me if this seat post would be suitable for cross country and trail riding, as in the description it says light mountain bike use.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... -prod44756

Thanks

Ollie

Comments

• Personally, I wouldn't go for anything that is made primarily for road use.
    But then, that is because I have fallen off my bike and dented my seat post on an easy xc ride, and always have an 'off' when I'm on the trails.

Maybe someone on here has one (although if you Google the product, there is only 1 image of it on a MTB - all the rest are on road bikes).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's not light, I wouldn't have any qualms using it for XC riding. That's a hell of a lot of layback though, do you need that much?
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    It'll do fine for XC and also trail but there are cheaper, lighter, better posts for that sort of money.... have a look at Crank Brother Cobalts, there are straight and setback versions and lots of deals on them at the moment on CRC and Planet X, they are the same weight for the half the price of the FSA
  • Thank you for all your reply's.

njee20 I'm new to all of this so I don't know if I need that much layback. I suppose it does seem quite a lot compared to other posts.

Thank you miceden I'll have a look at those, I am just trying to get the lightest most suitable seat post for my money.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    That's a huge layback, what is your current seatpost because if your happy with that then just look for like for like in carbon.
  • My current seat post is just a standard boardman e4p.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which has a layback of? (hint:- you can just measure it!, centre of post to centre of mounting.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.