My First Hardtail Rebuild…advice needed!

gregneedle
gregneedle Posts: 12
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

I've decided to strip down and rebuild my first 1/2 decent hard tail as my girlfriend has taken up cycling and I figured it would be a good way to get her started at a reasonable cost, and also teach me a few of the basics before I take the spanner to my trek full susser. I have somewhat neglected the bike over the last few years and lent it out to my brother in law who never cleaned or really maintained it, hence the re-build…

The bike is a commencal combi disc. I know its nothing amazing but, with a few component upgrades it will make a decent first bike for the Mrs.

So I have set about stripping the bike down to just a frame and give it all a full clean. First thing I noticed was the weight of the forks! They are rockshox Dart 2 and weigh a tonn.
I would like to try and upgrade them, so any recommended budget forks that would fit the bill would be good, maybe a second hand set off ebay, recommendations would be appreciated?

Also the chain, rear mech, cassette and crank cogs are all bent/ filthily and generally battered, so I was thinking of re-newing all of these.

Can anyone reccommend some good budget stuff?

The mech is a S-ram X7, I have seen a shimano deore on chain reaction for a good price, will these just be a straight swap?

Any other useful tips would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Second hand set of Recon Gold air or Suntour Raidon air would be my choice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sram and shimano rear derailleur need same manufacturers shifters as pull ratio differs.