Dumbest question on tyre

Daveryme
Daveryme Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
Hi All,

as you will see from my question I have no knowledge about bike...at all :)

Thanks the C2W scheme I have decided to buy a road bike,(boardmann team carbon) the size of the wheel is 700c.

Can I fit any 700c tyre ( 21, 23, 25, 27 ) on this wheel ?

I am asking you that because I have also decided to buy a wheelset from china, they say " 700c clincher 27 mm wide" or " 700c clincher 25 mm wide"

whats the difference ?

(don't laugh) :)

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    In simple terms, 700c is the diameter, 21/23/25/27/28 etc is the width.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    In simple terms, 700c is the diameter, 21/23/25/27/28 etc is the width.

Hi drlodge,

does that mean I can fit any (21/23/25/27/28)tyre on 700c wheel ?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Just to jump in and say yes and no!

Within reason, most regular rims will accept a wide range of widths of tyres - but you need to be certain your frame and forks can handle a wider tyre. Many road bikes only have clearance for 23mm tyres (I don't know the specific frame you are looking at - maybe someone can help who owns one). There is a growing trend for clearances certainly for 25mm tyres and even 28mm on more and more framesets.

Now - the Chinese wheels you are looking at are probably talking rim width there (as they are not selling you a tyre) - again, there's a trend towards wider rims currently. This is where it all gets a bit hazy - wider rims and very narrow tyres tend not to work. Furthermore, wider rims may not fit your frameset again. Certainly a 27mm wide rim is very wide (about the same as a Zipp Firecrest 404, which doesn't fit every frameset). But you also need to know internal width as that is the more important number for looking at what tyres will work.

Hopefully someone with that frame will be able to help out a little more.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Sheldon Brown has a helpful chart if you know the rim width if you scroll down this link a bit.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
  • I see...

the point now is to understand if a boardmann team carbon can host a 27mm wide rims. :)

thanks for clarify !
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    not a dumb question at all...
  • Daveryme wrote:
    I see...

the point now is to understand if a boardmann team carbon can host a 27mm wide rims. :)

thanks for clarify !

You'll need to adjust the breaks
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Hi SloppySchleckonds,

could you please explain this in terms of work-time-cost ?

is something the guys from my LSB/Halfords can do easily?

Cheers
  • Hi no dumb questions in road beginners section.

Basically as your tyre width increases (or decreases) you will need to adjust your brake pads to accommodate the new wheels & ensure your pads can work effectively.

Yes your LBS should be able to do this for you, however is quite a simple procedure with minimal tools required. Tour tube is a great resource as it's often easier to see it being done rather than explain it

Plus check if your LBS (think Evans do) run a maintenance course which covers this
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You will need to fit carbon specific brake pads aswell. My chinese carbon wheels came with a set which seemed ok but i switched them out for these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-perfor ... pack-of-4/ and noticed an immediate improvement in braking. Not bad for the price.

i would choose 25mm wide wheels out of those (though these are still considered quite wide) over 27mm (probably too wide).

If you can find 23mm wide wheels. They will be a little bit lighter than above but still offer similar benefits if you plan to fit a 23c or 25c tyre.

To adjust the brakes watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-FkZSqgzY
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Dumb question from me - if you are spending serious money on a Boardman Team Carbon, but know nothing about bikes, why are you immediately going to change the wheelset?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    larkim wrote:
    Dumb question from me - if you are spending serious money on a Boardman Team Carbon, but know nothing about bikes, why are you immediately going to change the wheelset?
    I was just about to ask the same.

If the OP doesn't know anything about bikes, how does he know what he wants, or doesn't.
    That's a decent bike and should be perfectly good in its stock configuration initially. No need to rush into making changes and if you do so before knowing what's important and what you want then you'll probably end up regretting it and/or wasting money.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    I was just about to ask the same.

If the OP doesn't know anything about bikes, how does he know what he wants, or doesn't.
    That's a decent bike and should be perfectly good in its stock configuration initially. No need to rush into making changes and if you do so before knowing what's important and what you want then you'll probably end up regretting it and/or wasting money.
    larkim wrote:

I dont know anything about bike, correct.... but I got a good eyesight and I know what i LIKE...

I didn't say I NEED a carbon Wheelset, I said I WANT it, I just like the look the bike gets, actually I like even more in 86-60 (not the lightest configuration probably) ...crazy eh to add few extra grams :)

this is a good reason, well for me at least. and it doesn't cost much considering I ll be selling the Mavic as new.

I am not a Le Corbusier fan, if you see what I mean !

My best

Davide
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    larkim wrote:

The phrase "all the gear and no idea" springs to mind...
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Are you sure you know enough to know what you don't know?

You may know what you like the look of but I presume you also want to ride the bike.

Are you aware that 86mm & 60mm deep section carbon wheels will make the bike a handful in the wind. Not wise for someone brand new to roadbikes.