Boot mounted bike rack

moscowflyer
moscowflyer Posts: 540
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for something that will comfortably fit a 29er (VooDoo Bizango) and at least one of the kids bikes (12/16"), it will need to possibly be suitable for a hybrid in the future as well. I was looking at the Saris Bones but I believe I'd need some sort of 'Virtual crossbar' for sloping top tubes so just want something that will do the job off the peg (I've got a Zafira). Two or three bike mounting would be fine.

Anyone know of something suitable?

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I don't know each and every bike rack on the market but I expect that pretty much all of them are going to struggle with sloping top tubes, not just the Saris Bones.

I'd suggest you re-consider the Saris again as its a versatile bike rack - all 6 arms/legs/bones/whatever you want to call them are adjustable horizontally and vertically along the aluminium bar over which they attach. It'll fit estates, saloons, convertibles, hatchbacks, mpv's, the lot. The two arms which carry the bike can be individually moved horizontally and vertically so they will adapt to different frame shapes & sizes. Bikes are secured with rubber straps in three places, two on the toptube and one on the seattube, so the bike doesn't move in transit at all. Simple to put on / take off and folds down to quite a small size. No tools needed to install it at all. All the contact points on the car/bike are rubberised so it does mark or scratch things.

I own one and like it, my only quibble is that it doesn't handle oddly shaped carbon fibre and full suss frames.

You can pick them up 2nd hand on ebay for around £70-90 for the Bones 3, and the "bike beam" for sloping top tubes is only about £25.
  • Cheers, I already have a Saris Gran Fondo so I know how good they are, having had a good look I don't think I'll get any better than the Bones so will go for that and will just buy the add on.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Honestly - get a towbar fitted and buy a rack for thatsaves a lot of grief. A much safer option for two bikes and much easier to use. Towbar cost about £250 including plates - need a light board - extra £30 or so.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: