Silly Commuter Nicknames

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
I tend to see the same people everyday when I'm riding to and from work - some are cyclists, others pedestrians, and even some car drivers. I noticed the other day that I'd inadvertently started making up nicknames for these usual suspects. So a few of the ones I see are:
- Fake old Helen: whose hair is very similar to my wife's but she's older
- Smiley goth: who is a goth girl who I exchange a goodmorning smile with
- The German lesbians: who are a fairly large couple who I heard talking German to each other whilst holding hands
- Wing Commander Moustachio: a friendly guy with an impressive moustache who looks like an RAF type of guy (and I've seen him fairly near the RAF base)

Anyone else do the same?

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Twitchy thighed, baby blue onesied, atomic solicitor actually joined the forum a while ago. His actual forum nickname isn't as flamboyant :P
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have "Climbs like a bag of spanners guy" - because he just looks terrible on the bike.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Twitchy thighed, baby blue onesied, atomic solicitor actually joined the forum a while ago. His actual forum nickname isn't as flamboyant :P
    Are you talking about 3 people, or is that a nickname for one person - if so I want to meet this twitchy thighed, baby blue onesied, atomic solicitor! :)
  • The nicknames I tend to use are expletive descriptions when another car/bus/truck cuts me up. Apart from that I've never thought of nicknaming the regulars. Although I do find myself criticizing what some of the regulars looks. Such as the "trying too hard to look attractive but definitely well over the hill office woman" or the "jeez you actually go out in clothes 3 sizes too small for you slapper!" or the "too well dressed to be straight guy" or the "get off the pavement you cheapo bike riding @rsehole moron" or the "you are riding your bike the wrong way on a one way street you chavvy organ donor".

In case you can't tell I get pissed off quickly with people within the first 5 minutes of riding home from work. There are way too many idiots out there (myself included). There is a mixed use suspension bridge over the river on my way home. It is an open free for all without any rules of the road. From cyclists weaving around like they are drunk or high on something herbal to peds who just want to block your way.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    BigMonka wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Are you talking about 3 people, or is that a nickname for one person - if so I want to meet this twitchy thighed, baby blue onesied, atomic solicitor! :)
    :D:D
    Before I became aware of this forum and de-lurked (a looong year and 481 posts ago) I'd been variously labelled as twitchy-thighs and baby-blue shorts, so I score on two of those, but I'm not a solicitor. I was told off (by vermin I think) for not adopting StorckGuy or ex-Storck as my official forum name, as that's who you all knew me as at the time.

Speaking of nicknamed-recognizables not yet on the forum, I passed long-haired Rob last night sporting a set of VERY expensive-looking Zipp wheels. I must admit as I drew up I was thinking, "she's fast for a ..." then realised my mistake.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rower63 wrote:
    BigMonka wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Before I became aware of this forum and de-lurked (a looong year and 481 posts ago) I'd been variously labelled as twitchy-thighs and baby-blue shorts, so I score on two of those, but I'm not a solicitor. I was told off (by vermin I think) for not adopting StorckGuy or ex-Storck as my official forum name, as that's who you all knew me as at the time.

Speaking of nicknamed-recognizables not yet on the forum, I passed long-haired Rob last night sporting a set of VERY expensive-looking Zipp wheels. I must admit as I drew up I was thinking, "she's fast for a ..." then realised my mistake.
    You'll always be Twitchy Legged Storck Man
    And ATG will remain so if he joins the forum (rather than his own nickname 'The Bull')
    And poor long haired pinarello Rob that looks like a girl...
    TCC Man appears to just confirmed his reputation an ill tempered and no fun :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Big bearedy who puts away the booze
    Super spinny ginge
    Far too many layers gets in late for drink rounds
    and the winner being "he's actually a big softie and can't climb at all for all his forum balls"
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • For a week I kept seeing "kid going to a pirate party" who between PS and Tower Hill would spin away from me at the lights then after 50yds wait for me to overtake and tow him to the next set of red lights where he would do it again. I assumed that the bandanna around the head and dangly ear rings had discombobulated him
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    rower63 wrote:
    I was told off (by vermin I think) for not adopting StorckGuy or ex-Storck as my official forum name, as that's who you all knew me as at the time.

It was either Storckguy or simply "oh god not him again".

As an aside, you wouldn't have competed at HRR in 2000, would you?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    dhope wrote:
    And ATG will remain so if he joins the forum (rather than his own nickname 'The Bull')
    TCC Man appears to just confirmed his reputation an ill tempered and no fun :roll:
    Although my commute doesn't go that way I feel as though I know all of these people. Although I have now met Rower63 I agree he should be Twitchy Legged Storck Man.
    I see the same people quite often in Bushy Park, but I don't tend to name them. Although if I did I'd say that I miss seeing Smiley Blond with Great Cleavage in the mornings as she could make me smile for the rest of the day.
  • What's the deal with "Storck man"?
  • vermin
    Veronese68 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Although my commute doesn't go that way I feel as though I know all of these people. Although I have now met Rower63 I agree he should be Twitchy Legged Storck Man.
    I see the same people quite often in Bushy Park, but I don't tend to name them. Although if I did I'd say that I miss seeing Smiley Blond with Great Cleavage in the mornings as she could make me smile for the rest of the day.

Isn't that pinarello Rob again?

I only see dead things on my commute these days. Doesn't really seem appropriate to give them nicknames.
  • rower63
    vermin wrote:
    As an aside, you wouldn't have competed at HRR in 2000, would you?
    No, I didn't that year. I sort of took a break from rowing racing 1996-1998, and by 99-2000 I was aiming for marathons, both running and a sculling one. After the London 2000 running marathon I concentrated on the single scull, aiming to do the 49km Boston Marathon from Lincoln to Boston in mid-September. I was really ready for it, and it was cancelled due to the 2-week long petrol strike. gutted. Why d'you ask, were you racing at it?
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • vermin
    Yep, eliminated from the quads by Molesey. Guessed it was around your time.
  • rower63
    vermin wrote:
    Yep, eliminated from the quads by Molesey. Guessed it was around your time.
    not me that time, but some good mates of mine. My "prime time" was 1987-92 :shock:
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    there's a few for me:

retro girl - wears 1950's style clothing and walks south across Tower Bridge on the left hand side as I ride north over it.

sad-faced sky girl - young girl, well in her 20's anyway, who always used to wear a skyride fluoro bib and a sad face. Rides west along CS3 as I ride East towards Canary Wharf. She had a flat one morning and i was gutted when that b*stard with the Brixton Cycles top stopped to help her just moments ahead of me

Which reminds me, I haven't seen Terry Jones recently, well as least the bloke who also rode West on CS3, looked the spitting image of Terry Jones from Monty Python and always rode with splayed feet. Possibly haven't seen him cos his other defining characteristic was that he never did up his helmet straps, they just flapped loosely

There was uber babe too but I only saw her a few times. An absolute knockout who I saw near Colliers Wood station a few times and blow me (wish she would) if she didn't reappear at Balham having travelled a few stops on the Northern Line.
    FCN = 4
  • Anyone seen Comic book guy on CS7 recently?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Anyone seen Comic book guy on CS7 recently?

not for a few weeks
    FCN = 4
  • Not a sausage at normal (for me) times, if I go later I sometimes see Steve on the very Green bike.

I sometimes pass colour cordnated woman on a brompton, I've seen her at the local train stations effortlessly folding the brompton in one had with a coffee in the other....
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Does the guy on Embankment who wears a full face helmet, tracksuit, has an old 'honk honk horn' and spins 200rpm off the lights before topping out at 18mph have a nickname yet? I'm lacking creativity right now.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:
    Does the guy on Embankment who wears a full face helmet, tracksuit, has an old 'honk honk horn' and spins 200rpm off the lights before topping out at 18mph have a nickname yet? I'm lacking creativity right now.
    The one who gets really annoyed if you dare to go faster, and holds out his hand in front of your face as you're passing?
    I could think of a few names for him that day...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    The one who gets really annoyed if you dare to go faster, and holds out his hand in front of your face as you're passing?

Wonder if this is this the same cyclist I saw at London Bridge last week on white road bike, in sunny weather dressed head to toe in black without a single bit of skin showing completely covered, with full face helmet and goggles, a go pro camera and light atop helmet, lights all over the bike including in the wheels, and an electronic horn that they insisted on pressing a lot and was rather annoying.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    No, this guy has an old air horn and its under his seat, so when hes angry he reaches in-between his legs and squeezes vigorously on this thing, wobbling all over the road.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:

I've not seen him for ages. I always used to call him 'Fucking Dangerous.'
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete wrote:
    when hes angry he reaches in-between his legs and squeezes vigorously on this thing, wobbling all over the road.

:lol::lol::lol: :oops:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Does the guy on Embankment who wears a full face helmet, tracksuit, has an old 'honk honk horn' and spins 200rpm off the lights before topping out at 18mph have a nickname yet? I'm lacking creativity right now.[/quoe]

I've not seen him for ages. I always used to call him '******* Dangerous.'

Saw him last week. There are no words.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rower63 wrote:
    BigMonka wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

He is. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    rubertoe wrote:
    I have "Climbs like a bag of spanners guy" - because he just looks terrible on the bike.

I think I know that guy! Rides a white Cube out of the saddle all the time in the manner of Brains from the Thunderbirds. As though he's being pulled in all directions by invisible wires.
  • Sounds like you London commuters have got a bit of a community going on. And it sounds like there are some real characters too, lol.