Am I the only one who...

NikProwse
NikProwse Posts: 22
edited September 2014 in Commuting general
...when I have to take the car to be serviced, I put the bike in the back of the car, drop the car off and then cycle to work? When the work's done I do the same in reverse. Mechanics and garage office staff treat me like I'm slightly loopy, and I've never seen another bike in a garage car park.

Just wondering, Is it just me?
Nik

Comments

• That's what I do too, it also means I can use a mechanic who is further from the city centre/work which results in much less driving in traffic to/from the garage :-)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My car was due it's MOT, so I rang the garage and the chap offered to take the car in for me and drop it back the same evening .... helps that he's my neighbour and garage owner though ;)
  • for work cars yes, tend to be garages with awkward public transport vs a short bike ride, my own car I use a garage 5 mins walk away.
  • No.
  • Yes, but I wheel the bike through the showroom to the desk. Saves carrying a lock.
  • I've done that before.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Not the only one, plus had a van the other day and rode to pick it up & left it in the back so when dropping the van back I could just ride
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I do that too. They do give the Brompton a funny look though.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Audi do a chauffeur service, or free car, collect and return or drop you off / pick you up if you have a service with them. So there's no need.

Naturally I always do :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I do. More out of necessity than desire (I'd rather use somewhere close and walk) but there aren't any garages near where I work.

I did this once when taking my car to a garage and the mechanic showed up on a bike. He uses another garage for MOTs so keeps a bike there for when he takes/drops them off.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I do this when I need to take the car into the garage for work that I can't do myself or needs to be done quickly.
    Have used this garage for years and trust them so they are used to me turning up with my bike in tow, plus the service receptionist is a roadie himself.