SPD adjustment options

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
I've put MTB pedals on my Triban so that I can use the same on my MTB. Went out tonight for my first tentative ride, and felt very comfortable with them in general, but clearly I'm not experienced about these things.

One thing I was slightly concerned about was that when I used toeclips, when I am standing up on the pedals climbing it always felt like my right foot rotated towards the left edge of my foot, particularly at the top part of the stroke, so that (if you can imagine this) I ended up with more pressure on the little toe side, and less on the ball of my foot. Clearly without cleats my foot was also free to rotate freely.

Climbing with the cleats felt incredibly powerful, which was good, but I could feel the same sensation again, but perhaps with the foot being a little more limited in its freedom. Ultimately this seems to transfer a twisting action up to my knee, and it certainly felt as if the inside (i.e. towards the bike, not behind the patella) of my knee was getting warm through my uphill phases.

I clearly need to do some experimenting with ideal cleat location, focussing on my right leg (left was absolutely fine). Where would you start? Front to back? Left to right? Angled?

(Bear in mind that I've bought a £300 bike and £30 shoes - any suggestions that I spend £100+ on a bike fitting are unfortunately impractical, no matter how beneficial they might be, I just couldn't get that past SWMBO!)

Thanks!

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• I am not an expert, but if have a suggestion.

If you naturally weight the inner part of your foot, why not get a shaped insole for your shoe that sets your foot at the angle it wants to be at?

Cheap solution worth trying.
  • larkim
    That would be fine, but would upset things when I am pedalling sat down. It's only when I stand up that I have the issue.

Matt
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If I understand correctly these are your first pair of SPD pedals and shoes, you say you have them on your MTB also.
    What pedal and cleats are you using, SH-51 single release or SH-56 multi release? What tension setting are you using on the pedals?
  • larkim
    Single release cleats, minimum tension wound back on the pedals. I don't think tension has much to do with it, it is about the rolling outwards motion of my foot. Thinking about it, this motion is probably coming from my hips. The best analogy I can think of is when you are driving - your right foot / knee doesn't come straight up, it comes up and to the side (largely to avoid the steering wheel). It is that kind of motion which I am conscious of both pedalling clipped in with SPDs, toe clips or using flat pedals. Perhaps I am just being over-cautious in trying to keep my knee out of the way, and I just need to concentrate on raising the knee straight up when pedalling standing up.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    There will be a degree of float built in to the pedal and cleat, more noticeable with the low tension setting, though as long as you are not accidently releasing while pedalling, that can be beneficial.

You may need to experiment with the cleat position if you are experiencing pain in your knee and also look at the insole/footbed arch support if you are rolling your foot. I can't advise you which way to move your cleats, that's something only you can determine through trial/error. If you sit on a raised surface and dangle your legs above the floor, you will be able to observe the orientation of you feet, both parallel, pointing in, out or any combination of the three. You can then adjust your cleats accordingly.

Or it could be that you just need to get used to being clipped in.
  • Try this website it gives some advice on cleat adjustment

http://www.bikefit.com/s-13-road-bikes.aspx

:D